Vase - Any assistance would be appreciated.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KrisWRX, May 8, 2022.

1. KrisWRX

KrisWRX New Member

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated with this vase please.

Attached Files:

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

3. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Please help us to help you.
    Where in the world was this found? How tall/wide is it? Can you provide a photo of the the top/opening?
    Thanks!

komokwa, judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. KrisWRX

KrisWRX New Member

Hello bluumz thank you for your time. Approximate measurements:
    17.5cm tall, top of vase is 6.7cm wide and girth at the widest point is 10.5cm.

Attached Files:

Figtree3 and judy like this.
  5. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Thanks for the extra info.
    This is an international forum and it would help if you let us know which country, and even which part of that country, the item was found.

komokwa and Pat Dennis like this.
  6. KrisWRX

KrisWRX New Member

I am in Western Australia and came across the vase here. Thank you.

7. KrisWRX

KrisWRX New Member

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated on this beautiful piece. Thank you.

8. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Hello @KrisWRX & welcome to the forum!! :happy::happy:

I am going to tag one of our members who has remarkable skills when it comes to enhancing photos. :)

@Aquitaine - Can you do anything with the mark on the bottom? Maybe if it was a little clearer someone might recognize the maker. :happy::happy:

LauraGarnet02, komokwa and Aquitaine like this.
  9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

095CCC3E-550E-4FDC-83FC-9DC944A7AE34.jpeg

And I'll be back after seeing what I can do with the bottom!!!​

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  10. Aquitaine

SO, if I go higher that 2X OR use the "Very Compressed" choice, I usually wind up with distortions, so I try to stay away from them which I had to with this.....it was highly in-accurate in my opinion!! BUT, I think I came up with some SLIGHT improvements, but not great, sorry to say!!! You peeps are throwing tougher & tougher ones at me!!!!:joyful::joyful::happy:!!! I love the challenge, but get unhappy with many of the results!!:( ANYHOO, I did pretty much the same treatments, on both images but backed off with contrast as much as I could and sharpened as much as I dared on the lower image.....you can compare the two.....going to post both as you may see something I can miss!!!
    SO, it's subtle, but the top one is NOT sharpened....I see....ER then either 2 or Z 7X, then not sure...'c' with a vertical strike through?, < with a vertical strike through, not sure next, then looks like 'G'. NEXT LINE....NOT sure on first, lying down G, (shows up a bit better in second image), what looks like a bird, X or another bird, and 'G'. NEXT LINE....looks like '$', maybe 'X'?, not sure but maybe a star, possibly right facing bird, not sure, not sure, then 'X' or not sure. Sorry, but best I could do!!! BTW, some of what I see as 'G's in the second line could be 'C's........the darkening you see in the second image is me trying to 'pull' out remnants of whatever's there!

2X NOT-SHARPENED-LO RES.jpg
    2X SHARPENED-LO RES.jpg

Last edited: May 30, 2022
    LauraGarnet02, bercrystal and komokwa like this.
  11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Optician's test chart on acid.

12. KrisWRX

KrisWRX New Member

Oh wow, thank you very much for your amazing work. Now to try and work out the ‘who’ ‘where’ and ‘when’ of this intriguing piece. I am very grateful for your time.
    Just need to preserve this the best way with information for my children.

13. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

Holy good grief! It looks like a typewriter version of some Asian script. Maybe it was rubber stamped under glaze.

Figtree3 and Aquitaine like this.
  14. Aquitaine

Not at all totally sure it's in English..............!

15. Ownedbybear

I agree. Not even English script possibly.

Figtree3 likes this.
  16. KrisWRX

KrisWRX New Member

Thank you everyone. Any ideas on the age even if we can’t figure out the maker.

17. Ownedbybear

Between the wars, I suspect.

KrisWRX likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted