Featured Vaseline Glass

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Iowa Jayhawk, Mar 4, 2020.

1. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

Picked this up at an estate sale for relatively cheap ($25.00). It is definitely vaseline glass, and a price tag from the owner who had been a dealer said vaseline flint glass. Not so sure about that, but I can't seem to find it in any book. Any guidance is appreciated as always. It is very heavy and I think leaded. IMG_5355.jpg IMG_5356.jpg IMG_5357.jpg IMG_5358.jpg

2. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

It's possibly American Flint Glass, ca 1845, with a high percentage of lead oxide. It appears to be a covered bowl with under-plate, sugars didn't come with under-plates usually, so I'd not call it a sugar. Pitchblende, (uranium ore) was discovered about that time to have this coloring in glass.

Edit: correct typos

3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Iowa Jayhawk,
    Are you sure it is Vaseline glass? I do not see any green on the piece. It might be uranium glass. I would like to see this on a white background with a UV light. Remember "if it is green it is NOT Vaseline". Vaseline is a chartreuse greenish yellow. There are plenty of just yellow pieces that glow but that does not make it Vaseline.
    greg

4. Iowa Jayhawk

Will get it on a white background. It is more chartreuse green than green for sure.

5. gregsglass

Hi,
    Thanks for the new photos it just that a brown background 'hides" the green.
    greg

pearlsnblume and i need help like this.
  6. Iowa Jayhawk

7. Iowa Jayhawk

Sorry for the repeats.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. Iowa Jayhawk

Guessing uranium glass is more likely. Any idea as to its heritage?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. gregsglass

Hi,
    With the new photos just looks like a yellow glass that glows in UV just called uranium glass.
    Vaseline glass is more greenish yellow not so much yellow. I'll have to look for some of my photos to show you Vaseline glass as compared to green glass or yellow glass.
    greg

10. Iowa Jayhawk

Sounds good. I have a couple of pieces I am pretty sure about, but examples are always appreciated.

i need help and Christmasjoy like this.
  11. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

12. Iowa Jayhawk

Thanks... I do have that one bookmarked.

13. Cherryhill

is is.
    Isn't the definition of Vaseline Glass yellow glass that glows green under blacklight? That's what this is....isn't it?

14. gregsglass

Hi Cherryhill,
    Yellow glass that glows green is URANIUM glass also blue glass that glows green and any other color glass that glows green is uranium glass. VASELINE glass is a yellowish green that glows green. It was called Canary glass years ago but it was finally referred to as Vaseline glass. The brand new yellow green glass that does not glow green is also called Vaseline glass but is referred to as Topaz glass.
    greg

15. Cherryhill

I believe that when this piece (pieces) was/were made it was called Canary. I've always thought that 'Vaseline" was a name made up in ignorance of it's true name. Vaseline was first used in 1927 referring to old glass, then used by Fenton for their glass of that color.

cxgirl likes this.
  16. gregsglass

Hi,
    What throws most off the Vaseline name is what vaseline looks like now it is bland and sort of yellow. The "old" vaseline was more greenish yellow like the color now referred to as Vaseline.
    I miss my old collection of Vaseline glass. I had over 400 pieces. My favorite ones were the 27 pitchers I had. They were from very ornate to the three or four that I had that were very plain
    and looked more of a ART DECO type. Several of them I never did get an ID on. Some of my plates were really stunning. I am now down to about 10 pieces.
    greg

pearlsnblume and Christmasjoy like this.
  17. Iowa Jayhawk

That had to be one big collection Greg!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  18. gregsglass

Hi Jayhawk,
    It was my second largest collection. My biggest was my Fiestaware collection with over 1000 pieces. I lived in a floor through in a Brooklyn brownstone. It was my favorite apartment. It was huge with two wood burning fireplaces but a tiny kitchen only 6 ft X 6 ft.
    greg

19. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I purchased the same pot and lid but sadly pot broke in shipping. I love the bottom plate too. I have no idea of maker.
    Vaseline in clear yellow glass which glows green. No other glass is vaseline glass. It was named after vaseline which was yellow back then.
    Uranium glass must glow Bright Green, not any other color.
    **I have a spare lid

cxgirl and Christmasjoy like this.
  20. gregsglass

Hi Shirl,
    I have to disagree if it is green or yellow it NOT Vaseline. Vaseline is a greenish yellow more like chartreuse that glows green. vaseline in old days was a greenish yellow it has become yellow since the 1950s. Uranium glass comes in several colors which glows a bright green. I have had pieces which are clear, blue and several different pink shades which glow like crazy.
    greg

Cherryhill, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted