Featured Venetian trade beads in Alaska before Columbus

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Any Jewelry, Feb 20, 2021.

1. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

No matter where you live or your moment in time, man's inhumaity to man has been pretty universal from the beginning of time - in cultures worldwide whether intended or not. And it continues to this day.
    Do you ever wonder what the world population would be and would look like if it had not happened?

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I'm hopeful a day will come when the girls father asks where her boyfriend comes from........and he says.......'everywhere' !

But by then....they'll likely be taking his JetCar up to Mont Tremblant for the opening of a new Cajun restaurant in February, where it will be a balmy 60 degrees F.

3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The one problem with stating that every nation did this at every time is that it's used by some as a way to hide and sideline history, and pretend it never happened.

One thing I admire modern Germany for is how they've handled Holocaust education.

4. ritzyvintage

ritzyvintage Well-Known Member

The additional problem with wars & conflicts (and for most part the cause of them) is religion. Far too much as been destroyed in the so-called name of religion and conflicting beliefs. Other dark moments in history have also seemed to be "the right ting to do" at that time by those responsible for making decisions.

Darkwing Manor likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I have read up on that in the past few years, and to me it seems the most feasible way. The presence of kelp forests along the coasts could have been advantage.
    Of course I am not an expert on sea currents or navigation.

Darkwing Manor and komokwa like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

There was also deportation/slavery. Many of the elite of the Natchez nation were deported to Puerto Rico and sold as slaves. Others from the southern US were deported to the East Coast to be sold. Forms of slavery of Californian Native Americans still went on in the California gold fields after the abolition of slavery.

7. Any Jewelry

Absolutely. And to recognize the suffering, the genocides, and the cultural genocide. Recognition is necessary for the healing process of the Native peoples involved. Not only in the US, but also in other countries, like Australia.

The consequences of Transatlantic slavery and colonial slavery in the Indian Ocean region and Africa also need to be recognized, but in those cases the reason behind the suffering wasn't eradication of entire cultures because they 'were in the way'.

8. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Reminds me of when I was working in Manhattan next to Chinatown. There was a Chinese man at the hospital and no could understand what he was saying. There had to be at least 12 nurses speaking to him in several different dialects. Finally I came across the gathering and started to laugh. The man was speaking Spanish. He was raised in Puerto Rico for several generations.
    greg

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

The establishment of permanent European settlements in the 1700s significantly altered the Beothuk way of life. With the French at Placentia and the English settled in areas from Conception Bay to Bonavista Bay, the Beothuk withdrew from European contact and became increasingly isolated. By the mid-1700s, English settlement in Newfoundland increased. The Beothuk now had to compete with white fur trappers who were familiar with the Newfoundland interior. (See also Fur Trade.) In addition, they were increasingly denied access to bays where they fished. This created tension, and at times, conflict, between the Beothuk and the Europeans.

By the early 1800s, their population was subsequently reduced, as they were forced to live along the Exploits River system and subsist on the inadequate food and shelter resources of the interior. Some historians also argue that European disease — namely tuberculosis — may have contributed the reduction in their population. During this time, the Beothuk were displaced, and some, such as Demasduwit — one of the last Beothuk — were forcibly taken by Europeans or killed.

DID YOU KNOW?
    In 1827, Scottish naturalist and explorer William Cormack took the skulls of two Beothuk people, Demasduwit (Demasduit) and her husband, Chief Nonosbawsut, as well other burial items, and sent them to his mentor Robert Jameson, a professor of natural history at the University of Edinburgh, Scotland. The remains were eventually housed at the National Museum of Scotland.
    Disappearance
    [​IMG]
    As a result of European encroachment, slaughter and diseases to which they had no natural resistance, the Beothuk’s numbers diminished rapidly following contact. The last known surviving Beothuk, Shawnadithit, died of tuberculosis in St. John’s in June 1829.

Darkwing Manor and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

What a wonderful story! It shows that it is very helpful to understand where people are coming from - historically and geographically.

Darkwing Manor, Bakersgma and komokwa like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

This reminds me of the cruel fate of the Tasmanian Aborigines, who were even hunted like game.
    After Truganini, the last Tasmanian Aborigine, was buried in 1876, her body was exhumed and put on display. 100 years later she was finally cremated, as she had requested before she died. May her soul have peace at last.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    Darkwing Manor and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted