Featured VERY COOL(!) 3-D ERTE REAL OR BOOTLEG?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Feb 7, 2019.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Found these today at my local thrift store & almost climbed over a little old lady to grab them! (she was after backpacks in a bin next to them no worries)

They are layers of the same image stacked 4-5 deep that give it a 3d look.

1 is signed but when I googled her name & erte nothing happened- are they real?

If they are bootleg, what do you think?

Finally, what is the name of the artist who made this style famous? He/she usually did 3-d/layered scenes of old time towns?

As always, I thank you & appreciate the help.

AA ART PRINT ERTE 3D 1AA.JPG
    AA ART PRINT ERTE 3D 2AA.JPG AA ART PRINT ERTE 3D 3AA.JPG AA ART PRINT ERTE 3D 4AA.JPG AA ART PRINT ERTE 3D 4A_AA.JPG AA ART PRINT ERTE 3D 4AA_A.JPG AA ART PRINT ERTE 3D 4AA_AA.JPG

cxgirl, judy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

just some crafts person doing a 3-D homage to Erte.
    For the home that has everything....they're lovely !

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Suspect 'Florette' used greeting cards with Erté illustrations to make these.

judy, kyratango, Any Jewelry and 4 others like this.
  5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Id be all over those like a cheap suit ! Those look way too professional to be a hobbyist work in my humble opinion. The way they are framed,even back then,would have been terribly expensive.

pearlsnblume, judy, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  6. journeymagazine

I know bootleg clothes & jackets are in some - do these have any value? now

pearlsnblume, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

These look to me like they're from the '80s. There was a resurgent interest in Erte at the time. He was still around then; lived well into his 90s.

I think these are decorator pieces. The images have no special value, but the presentation is interesting. They may appeal to an aficionado, but on the low end.

judy, kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I can't say I've seen anything like them before! They're quite unique.....at least to me anyway!!!!:):):)

judy likes this.
  9. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

10. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Journeymagazines versions are little more than just stacked layers of paper, looks like an actual metal chain holding the dog, small pearls, etc. The woman's skin looks like a different fabric, etc. I don't think just taken from greeting cards, but could be wrong.

Did a quick search, could not find anything online either.

These are quite fascinating. Someone made some three dimensional art, I would have been very tempted by them as well. Good thing you didn't knock over the woman getting the suitcases!

Interesting set!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    judy, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  11. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Just for the heck of it, I went looking for "Florette" - and I found only one:

KARP, FLORETTE was born 12 February 1923, and died 14 September 2009.

Florette Brandwein-Karp, 86, of Tuxedo, NY, formerly of Rego Park, NY and Boca Raton, FL, passed away on Monday, September 14, 2009.

Florette was the daughter of the late Sadie and Jack Partnow, and was born in New York City. She was a loving wife, mother and grandmother.

She is survived by her husband, Robert Karp of Boca Raton, FL; daughters, Susan Borchers of Monroe and Shari Tesser-Goldstein of New City, NY; son, Harvey Brandwein of East Hills, NY; and seven grandchildren. She was predeceased by her first husband, Irving Brandwein.

No mention of her arts+ crafts history...

patd8643, judy, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I'm with Bronwen, Florette made these in 2000 from pre-printed sets. In 2000 the fashion for crafting 3d cards (there was a name for it) was still going strong.
    Florette did a very nice job, I think. It is clear she loved Erté, short for Romain de Tirtoff.

Jivvy, judy and kyratango like this.
  13. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I think Florette was a skilled hobbyist.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  14. journeymagazine

And Boca Raton is next door to here, so maybe after she passed away her husband - who may not have been as crazy about Erte - donated them to a thrift store?

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted