Very cool painting - is it a painting? Help with artist?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Jul 22, 2020.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this at a thrift store today & really like it! I first thought it was a print or serigraph because the canvas is so dark on the back, but looking at it with a small magnifying glass it looks like a painting + on the side edge you can see where the paint is not even with the rest of the edge.
    Is this a painting?
    Also, I googled D. Lampart artist - and nothing! - Someone who can paint something this cool doesn't have any mark on the web? Please don't tell me this is just another Chinese factory art painting?!
    Any info/thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated
    Thank you all!

ART PAINTING D LAMPART 1ZZ..JPG ART PAINTING D LAMPART 4AA_ZZ.jpg ART PAINTING D LAMPART 5AAZZ.jpg ART PAINTING D LAMPART 7AAZZ.jpg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Any Jewelry likes this.
  3. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

IF it's a painting and not some kind of print, it was painted in a factory, shipped to the U.S. and then stretched and stapled. You can see the original was painted larger than the stretcher bars. China is famous for this sort of art copy work.

Any Jewelry and reader like this.
  4. antidiem

Yes, having looked again, it is a painting, looks like oil that has been overly thinned and not sticking to the prefab canvas very well.

judy and reader like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I think they paint them....knowing you'll be stopping by the thrift shop !!!!!!

6. journeymagazine

antidiem and judy like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'm with Antidiem. Think it's Chinese.

Debora

antidiem likes this.
  8. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Copy it looks like

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Someone who can paint something this cool doesn't have any mark on the web?

100,000 of them.................likely more.

10. journeymagazine

Ok OK! lol

11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Tamara de Lempicka's paintings are still so popular they are even stolen from museums. This one, 'La Musicienne' was stolen in 2009 from the Scheringa Museum, Netherlands, but it was retrieved by Dutch art detective Arthur Brand.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  12. JayBee

JayBee Well-Known Member

Definitely a copy of Tamara de Lempicka's work, but I'm not so sure about the copy having been made by a Chinese --- the copies that I have seen are higher quality (they are good at that!) and copying is what they do best. :smuggrin:

samuelcaulfield1 and antidiem like this.
  13. antidiem

TOTALLY AGREE!! I'm so glad you brought this up, JayBee, because now I realize it's not a Chinese copy, but more likely an Indonesian copy.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  14. JayBee

JayBee Well-Known Member

:happy:
    And another detail: the Chinese workshop/studio copies are never signed by the person that makes the copy. They either copy the signature of the original artist, if it's in the painting, or make a note on the back of the canvas, or something the like. They copy paintings for people who want to own an original but can't afford it.

antidiem likes this.
  15. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

Why are we ruling out the paint farms in the Philippines?

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  16. antidiem

This is only about half true. IF you actually COMMISSION the painting, it is documented. Tons are not. "Signatures" are signed, usually illegibly. The range is wide.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  17. antidiem

I'M NOT!! I didn't even think of them!! It's got such a thin wash of paint on it, sure could be from the Philippines. Thanks, Mark.

Draft saved Draft deleted