Featured Very cool/unusual wrought iron patio set - Woodard?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by journeymagazine, Aug 5, 2020.

1. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

I like it, suppose it could be a retro set, but I'd think more likely circa 1950s - to my eye, doesn't really look up to Woodard quality. Seems clearly wrought iron with steel mesh, I've had a more traditional iron and mesh table and chair set for well over 40 years and it already had some age to it when I got it (really heavy and sturdy) - have painted it at least three times, and no matter how well I prep, the paint still starts chipping off after a couple of years, I touch it up until it's just easier to do a complete repaint...

~Cheryl

judy likes this.
  2. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

Thanks Greg. Shows why I don't deal with wrought iron.

judy likes this.
  3. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

There is a rusting rectangular table in my dad's back yard that was my Aunts circa 1963-64-65 at her little "cottage down the street when i was a wee lad ....same pattern / construction, sadly the ocean air and plants that sat on it outside have taken a tole and now in it's final life it is a pretend burger BBQ for my 5 year old .....

judy likes this.
  4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    When I find rusted through wrought iron, I repair it with Bondo. It is found at auto repair places. It covers and can be molded and sanded to be invisible.
    greg

antidiem and judy like this.
  5. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

No it was wrought iron - but it doesn't matter; I sold it first thing at my 'estate' sale this morning for $250!

6. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Wood is pretty but cast aluminum seems to have done best for me. Congrats on the sale back in the summer journey:)

7. alexscott1243

alexscott1243 New Member

8. qdunrpvcxsty

qdunrpvcxsty New Member

Those 'St. Louis Arch' style legs and arms sound super unique. As for the maker, Woodard did produce some fantastic mid-century modern pieces, so it's possible! I once stumbled upon a similar set while exploring flea markets with a friend. We couldn't pinpoint the exact style or maker either, but that's part of the charm, isn't it? Sometimes the mystery adds to the allure.

9. qdunrpvcxsty

qdunrpvcxsty New Member

10. qdunrpvcxsty

qdunrpvcxsty New Member

If you're ever looking to add more unique pieces to your outdoor space, you might find some inspiration at this site url—they have quite the selection!

Draft saved Draft deleted