Featured Very curious about this Hippo...

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by MrsNezbitt, Jan 25, 2024.

1. MrsNezbitt

MrsNezbitt Member

The unusual mustard yellow glaze and H mark are throwing me off as the mark almost appears to be filling what might have been a stoppered hole. The crazing seems indicative of some age, i.e. early 20th century. The mark is similar to Hull Pottery. PXL_20240125_162405597.jpg PXL_20240125_162439163.jpg PXL_20240125_162547140.jpg

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

That's a nice one.

Boland, wlwhittier, laura9797 and 2 others like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

yah, the image is strong !

4. MrsNezbitt

MrsNezbitt Member

Reminds me of Royal Doulton flambe figures.

wlwhittier and laura9797 like this.
  5. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

6. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

This hippo is shown on page 116 of Hagen-Renaker Through the Years by Nancy Kelly. It is part of the chapter entitled "Wish I Could Find One of These". The photo is not in color so I don't know if the glaze coloring is the same or not.

Below is the description next to the photo.

"This hippo was designed by Maureen Love with the intention of putting it in the Designers Workshop line, but it never made it. The hippo stands 4" tall and is 8.25" long, and is the only one made."

I will post a photo of the page tomorrow.

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Oh, he’s lovely.

johnnycb09, wlwhittier and laura9797 like this.
  9. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Or it is filling the vent hole. Perhaps they thought he looked more finished with the hole sealed.

johnnycb09 and wlwhittier like this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That is very nice.

Debora

johnnycb09 and wlwhittier like this.
  11. bercrystal

This is the photo from the book.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

12. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

The only one made? Is that only one the OP's?

bercrystal and komokwa like this.
  13. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

..... and now there are at least two! Would like to know the background of how the OP came to get this.

14. MrsNezbitt

MrsNezbitt Member

PXL_20240126_205522235.jpg PXL_20240126_205528486.jpg PXL_20240126_205531816.jpg PXL_20240126_205542476.jpg Wow! Thank you @bercrystal this truly had me stumped, and I am not so easily stumped :pompous: I can't believe you figured it out. Sending a major virtual high-five! tIt fits the measurements (4" x 8.25") exactly. I run a boutique auction company called Hoch LTD., this came from a client's grandmother's collection, she also collected 1930s German humorous figurines/dolls and ceramics, kewpies, etc. among other interesting things. I added a few more angles below.

15. bercrystal

That is exactly what I thought when I read that description.

The thanks really needs to go to @TallCakes who ID'd it as a Hagen-Renaker piece. I would have never given them a thought & only found the photo due to his ID.

Does the consignor have any idea where her grandmother acquired this piece or if she had any connection to Maureen Love?

Please do update this thread if you find out any information from the consignor & what the item eventually sells for when you auction it off. :happy::happy:

If you did not click on the link in TallCakes post you may want to check it out as you may want to contact the H-R museum regarding this piece.

16. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

17. bercrystal

@MrsNezbitt - You might have a real winner on your hands as @TallCakes has shown above!! :D:D

It goes to show that there are still treasures out there lurking in collections around the world. All you have to do is read some of the posts on this forum to see that this is very true. ;):smuggrin::smuggrin:

18. Dr.H.

Dr.H. New Member

Wow! So interesting.
    But what means "H".. Hippo?)

Bronwen likes this.
  19. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

I would think it refers to the company, Hagen-Renaker, but not 100% sure.

20. MrsNezbitt

MrsNezbitt Member

I will certainly keep all updated on the status and outcome of the hippo...

I thank those who with keen eye and mind assisted with its identification!

Draft saved Draft deleted