Featured Very Heavy Bangle with Dragon Heads

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Barn Owl, Jun 2, 2019.

1. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

Oooo, I think you might have done very well, very good sign

Christmasjoy, judy, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  2. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

Thanks :) I hope so! Now that it's polished, I can admire the finer carving details.

Christmasjoy, judy, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Congratulations Barn Owl! :)
    Great I.D.! AJ! :)
    I’m in the same boat Barn. I buy a lot not so great things all the time. I wish I could live stream my shopping trips, and ask what I should buy. :hilarious:

Christmasjoy, judy, Houseful and 5 others like this.
  4. Barn Owl

Thanks, INH!

Haha, same! And then there are some time (like last week, when I turned down two very nice watch fobs for 17.5 euros each) when I immediately regret not buying an item. I'm trying to learn to be more forgiving toward myself and accept that mistakes and regrets are a part of the learning process.

Christmasjoy, judy, Houseful and 4 others like this.
  5. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

OMG, I'm TERRIBLE in the field. I get overly-excited when something is slightly above the average of everything else I'm seeing. :woot:

Then I get home and it's all :muted: and :shifty: and :oops:.

Christmasjoy, judy, Houseful and 7 others like this.
  6. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

GOOD JOB! 140 grams of antique silver!!!:joyful:

Christmasjoy, judy, komokwa and 4 others like this.
  7. Barn Owl

Thank you! :) Now, to invest in a testing kit (or take it to a jeweler)!

Christmasjoy, judy, kyratango and 4 others like this.
  8. Sue Walker

Sue Walker New Member

Someone asked me to sell this on Etsy, it has similarities, can anybody tell me more please? It's 130g, 7.5cm diameter. As little I knew, I thought is was a Scandinavian torque and that those were dragon heads. But now I know the seller's grandfather traveled in Asia and I can see they are lions. The open mouths are similar. Could anybody advise me its possible age and value? dragon4.jpg

Christmasjoy, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome Sue.
    It is definitely Asian. Possibly Himalayan, like Barn Owl's. We don't do valuations here, but we can help you to find out more.
    First and foremost, can you test it for silver content? Or let the owner have it tested? If it isn't silver, the value is considerably less, of course.

10. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I would offer that the casting on this one is a lower quality than the earlier one. Loss of detail and quite a bit of pitting.

11. Any Jewelry

Absolutely, much less detail. Plus the cross-section is round, not hectagonal.

12. Barn Owl

On the topic of testing, I'm getting my testing kit in next week, so I'll be able to finally answer the question of whether this bangle is silver or not. :)

Sue Walker, judy, Jivvy and 3 others like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

[​IMG]

14. Barn Owl

I'm glad this thread was reawakened, otherwise I would have forgotten about it. I'll post the results here. :)

15. Sue Walker

Sue Walker New Member

Thanks so much for the reply, I appreciate it. I'm sorry for pushing in, but I searched and searched and this is the only similar image I could find to the one I have. I'm afraid I don't know how to test for silver, and don't have access to a testing kit. Is there any cheap easy way to test the probability? It feels so heavy, the owner guessed it is a mixture of brass and iron! Again thank you for giving so generously of your knowledge.

Jivvy, Any Jewelry and Christmasjoy like this.
  16. Sue Walker

Sue Walker New Member

Would that suggest a different origin/date? I'm interested to find out anything I can about how and when it might have been made, and how it might have been sold? And the open mouths, do they help to locate its origin somewhere? I've got quite fascinated with it now! Thank you again for all help and thoughts.

Jivvy and Barn Owl like this.
  17. Barn Owl

Testing kit came early. I haven't used a silver testing kit in a long time, so I'm a bit confused by the test results. I scratched each piece on the testing block, leaving a long, thick mark, and applied the red-tinted silver testing liquid to the streak.

I tested the Native American squash blossom style necklace I purchased a while back-- turned dark red, same color as a British sterling thimble I tested.
    Chinese silver and coral bracelet - turned red, but not quite as dark as the NA necklace
    Tested an Arabic bracelet (picture of bracelet and hallmark below), which turned lighter red.

download (24).png download (22).png

Then...the lion bracelet. It turned a very dark red; at first I was worried that the streak had disappeared, but after thirty seconds, I could still see it past the dark red. Now, I'm not sure what it all means. :(

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  18. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

one guy unverified says...
    Silver = bright blood red
    Sterling silver .925 = dark red
    0.800 silver = brown
    0.500 silver = green

then this...

upload_2019-8-12_1-36-12.jpeg

Barn Owl, i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  19. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Very useful, Komo! but...
    :nailbiting:The image suggest testing directly on the piece by putting an acid drop on it:facepalm:
    DON'T do that!!! Get a WHITE testing stone and leave a trace of metal on it by rubbing an edge of the piece you want to test. Color result will be obvious on the white background:)

20. Any Jewelry

Not Arabic, Barn, Tunisian, different continent and culture.;)
    It was made for the Moorish population, which in the Maghreb means someone of mixed Berber and Arabic descent. A very specific culture.
    People of early European descent (pre-1800) often wore Moorish jewellery as well.

The mark is not a Tunisian hallmark, but most likely the maker's mark. Tunisian silversmiths were often Jewish btw.
    I suspect the bangle is 19th century. If you search some more, there could be a hallmark, which is a tiny thin sliver of a thing, or a discharge mark, which is a tiny dot, or both. The legal fineness in the 19th century was ca 900, but could be slightly over. I have found Tunisian marks on spiral hinges, so look everywhere.:watching:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted