Featured Very Large Paisley Scarf (or Shawl?) with Fringe (Victorian?)

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Barn Owl, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

I spotted this scarf at the local thrift shop today and couldn't resist, reminded of a Victorian paisley shawl I had once seen online. It measures 80 inches long and 26 inches wide. One side of the shawl is dark blue with gold patterns, while the other side is gold with dark blue patterns. Basically, the other side inverted. No holes, but a thread is loose. I don't think it's made from synthetic fabric. Maybe cotton or wool. Too heavy to be silk. It's large enough that it would make a good shawl. No tags or any sign that there ever was one. Any thoughts?
    thumbnail (5).jpg thumbnail (6).jpg thumbnail (7).jpg thumbnail (8).jpg thumbnail (9).jpg

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Eighty inches is Isidora Duncan long. Thought from title it might be a piano shawl, but not right shape. Wondering though if it not a runner or other item of home decor rather than apparel?

Addendum: Going by eye alone, think it is wool.

3. Barn Owl

I had to Google who Isidora Duncan was. That's morbid. :wideyed:

It's possible. It was in the scarves section. I rather like it, but I don't want to go around wearing a table runner.

It feels like wool more so than cotton. It has a strange odor, slightly like cigarette smoke, but also like musk.

4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Even if you didn't mind wearing napery, Isidora should be a warning! :joyful:

5. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

I think it may be a wool challis paisley. Very pretty!

Christmasjoy, Barn Owl, judy and 5 others like this.
  6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I hate to rain on your parade, but I doubt it is Victorian.
    They have been importing these for the last 10 or so years.

Before doing this, wait for other ideas about the smell.
    I know you said you are in school, do you by chance have a dryer with air fluff?
    If so, I would put it in the dryer - No heat - with a couple of towels and a dryer sheet and let it run for about 10 minutes and check it. May need to repeat.

Again wait for the textile people, there may be a better way.

It's very attractive.

Christmasjoy, Barn Owl, judy and 4 others like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Barn Owl and KingofThings like this.
  8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Christmasjoy and Barn Owl like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Agree, not Victorian, relatively recent.
    Although the size is like a Pashmina shawl, this is not a real Pashmina. Just a very nice shawl, that I would gladly wear.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    clutteredcloset49, Barn Owl and judy like this.
  10. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I agree with the assertion that it's contemporary.
    The paisley pattern of old (ie: Victorian) was generally a much more intricate design, and with more use of color, as well.

11. Barn Owl

Fair enough. I'm not terribly surprised. Thank you for helping me identify it; I'd never heard of a pashmina shawl before.

The hunt continues!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

For future reference... Victorian paisley shawls are typically square, made of wool, and feature an intricate design in which red predominates. Most have a red field although some have cream.

Debora

FORUM Victorian Shawl.jpg

13. Barn Owl

Lovely. I'll be sure to keep my eyes out from now on. Thanks!

Draft saved Draft deleted