Very Nice Weller ? Pottery Vase Unusual Script

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by alynnfin, Mar 23, 2021.

1. alynnfin

alynnfin Well-Known Member

82EEAE33-749E-45D1-8144-A0894FA50D07_1_201_a.jpeg 5152299D-9C68-47C1-A7B1-2B326E2F52EC_1_201_a.jpeg 6E9DC894-9FA4-4E4E-8851-125B395B0964_1_201_a.jpeg I do not know if this is a Weller as in the Weller Pottery or if it is a Weller, as in a last name. The very artistic, if I am ready it right, Weller doesn't look like those I have seen earlier. Flea market buy. It measures 7 3/4 inches tall. I tried several angles to read it but can only read Weller, I think. Is it Weller Pottery? Any time period? Can you read the rest of the writing? This is what I "think" I read "Weller Since 1876 A6 or an upside down V and a 6"

judy and cxgirl like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Weller Pottery in script with a second line "Since 1872" is a valid imprint, but the piece it's on doesn't look right in all white glaze.

judy likes this.
  3. Bakersgma

The underlying pattern *may* be Marvo, produced from 1920 to 1925.

judy and i need help like this.
  4. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

check out Weller Arcadia:)

5. alynnfin

Up close I do not think it is either of those patterns, but if you both believe it is really Weller, I can continue to look. Do you know when they signed like that?

judy and cxgirl like this.
  6. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

can you post a couple more photos of the pattern? to me it looks like this, Arcadia. Photo is from dead Ruby Lane listing
    2c7db0099bf02ca6d2768fe906e32b13.jpg

Figtree3, judy, SBSVC and 1 other person like this.
  7. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

8. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

sorry, I was being lazy, finally got up and got my Weller book, shown in blue
    on page 336
    DSCF1661.jpeg

DSCF1663.jpeg

9. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I think it might be Arcadia. This is from Huxford's Weller Pottery book. This is the only clear photo they show of this particular style as the other Arcadia are more fronds. They say it's 8" tall and marked Weller Pottery Since 1872. There is also an old b&w photo of the catalog but all you can really tell from that is the shape.

IMG_20210324_061154.jpg

Figtree3 and judy like this.
  10. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Oh that was bizarre. When I look at this thread just minutes before posting, the Marvo suggestion was the last one showing though now the time stamp shows others were posted long before I posted.

I guess there might still be some site glitches?

Anyway I agree with Arcadia
    :)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    judy likes this.
  11. Bakersgma

Unfortunately my Weller book doesn't include Arcadia. :( I guess I need a new one.

12. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Be careful I have found RRPCo piece from 1954 with a different finish which was on sale as ROSEVILLE and listed for 500 dollars. True value is 25 dollars
    greg

13. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

There is something odd about the glaze. Looks refired?

14. Bakersgma

When I first saw the post I as thinking is was over glazed and re-fired.

15. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Any chance it's over-painted?

16. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I think it was fired with a white glaze instead of the blended glaze of two/three colors.
    greg

17. alynnfin

Blended glaze of 2/3 colors is way over my head. I'm sorry. If you explained what that was I could maybe try to tell you if it was that, I do know it is not painted over a glaze. Yes this vase does look like the Arcadia above, just like it except mine is a creamy white. The Arcadia I looked up didn't look like this, so there much be several patterns of it. Thank you all!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
Draft saved Draft deleted