Featured Very odd, old tropical lamp, coconuts?, What are the parts?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by tyeldom3, Oct 26, 2016.

1. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

Whataya make of this?:confused: Someone's homemade project? It's about 16.5" high. I have not cleaned it, so pardon the dirt.
    What are the parts? Is the base & top a coconut? Where could it be from? How old?, And anything else you could add would be wonderful. Thanks for your time.:cat:
    l.jpg l1.jpg l3.jpg l4.jpg l2.jpg l6.jpg

2. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Good God! I wouldn't want to alone in a room with that..................and I would say, Yes, someone's summer at the shore project. It will probably sell for a tidy sum. I sold vintage Popsicle stick, shell, and other cobbled lamps for nice amounts.

3. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

Some of it looks like Gorgonian (Sea Fan)

4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Florida souvenir from as early as the 20s. Would say definitely pre-war. Coconut, palm fronds, and sea fans. Also have some kind of seed pod on there. I have seen these sell for as much as $350.00 back in the day. Last one I had sold for $165.00 but that was over 10 years ago. I have seen them in shops at the $50.00 range these days and have passed them by. I know a friend has had one sitting in her shop for a few years at $65.00 without selling.

5. verybrad

6. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

7. tyeldom3

Well thank you all so much Mansons, Desperatefun, Brad & Gila! Y'all are fabulous. Too bad it's not worth a poo....:(:wacky:

8. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Normally I love old florida souvenirs,but Id have to pass on this one ! Looks like gar bills were used as the legs.

Aquitaine, KingofThings and tyeldom3 like this.
  9. tyeldom3

Thanks Johnny!:)

KingofThings likes this.
  10. verybrad

Don't think those are gar bills but I don't know what they are. I thought maybe sawfish bills but no match there either. May be some kind of plant material. I will have to examine one more closely next time I encounter one.

KingofThings and tyeldom3 like this.
  11. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

12. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

What are those ridged things shaped like a leaf hanging off the sides?

13. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Cut off palm fronds, tie.

14. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Some palms have spiky fronds that look like gar-bills; I imagine that is what these are. Or more precisely, the stem of each frond is sturdy and woody, with gar-bill like spikes.
    So we see here the stems of the fronds used as legs, and parts of the fronds themselves as decorative elements.

frond-stem teeth.jpg

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  15. verybrad

You mean the trimmed palmetto fronds?

There are different types. Maybe cabbage palmetto....
    [​IMG]

16. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

I'm also wondering if the lacy things are not sea-fans, but some other type of plant material. It would be nice if they were some part of the palm also - then the entire lamp would be made of palm parts.
    Perhaps when a large palm leaf decomposes, it leaves those lacy things, much like the leaves of deciduous trees which can decompose to leave a lace-like skeleton....
    Or maybe parts of the seed-structures.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  17. Domovin

Domovin New Member

If this lamp is still available, or another like it, I'm interested in purchasing and info.
    Thanks!

judy and KingofThings like this.
  18. Domovin

Domovin New Member

Hi,
    I'm researching this type of lamp. Do you know if your friend still has that lamp in her shop?
    Thanks,
    D

KingofThings likes this.
  19. verybrad

This thread is a year old. @tyeldom3 will need to answer.

tyeldom3 and KingofThings like this.
  20. Domovin

Domovin New Member

Thanks verybrad. Responding to your post from a year ago when you mentioned your friend having one in her shop for a few years, I'm asking if you know if that one is still in the shop.
    Thanks again

judy and KingofThings like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted