Very old and large signed oil on canvas

Discussion in 'Art' started by Danno, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Danno

Danno Well-Known Member

Does anyone have an idea on this one. It is signed lower left but I cannot make it out. Worth getting cleaned?

Attached Files:

Joshua Brown likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

For the best assistance, it would be helpful if you posted better quality photographs. One of the front full on, one of the back full on and close-ups of any markings (labels, handwritten notations) as well as the artist's signature. That said... yours appears -- from the conical hats as only one clue -- to be a vintage painting from somewhere in Southeast Asia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_conical_hat

Debora

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Agree with the above regarding photographs.
    Most of those Asian conical hat shapes are pretty generic. It's better to look at the other signs. The clothing and that style of covered cart look Indonesian. The decorations on the cart could be Madurese (island in Indonesia) and the bulls look like Madurese bulls too. White-washed houses with red-tiled roofs could be Dutch colonial, again possibly Indonesia.
    But without a good view of the picture it is difficult to be certain.
    If it is Madura, it will certainly make my part-Madurese heart beat faster.

4. Danno

Danno Well-Known Member

IMG_1394.JPG IMG_1394.JPG IMG_1395.JPG IMG_1396.JPG IMG_1397.JPG Thank you. I am guessing that these additional photos will not help much. The painting definitely needs a good cleaning! The signature lloks like "Suma" to me. Would you spend the money getting it restored?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  5. Danno

Danno Well-Known Member

IMG_1403.JPG

An additional photo of only marking on verso

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  6. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Please, click the button to edit your posts, and on the images select 'full size.' Not thumbnail. Everybody should always do this, it saves time for those who might want to respond.

7. Danno

Danno Well-Known Member

I appreciate this guidance!

8. Any Jewelry

Sadly not.
    Indonesian paintings like this one aren't worth very much in the current market. I don't think it is by a well-known artist.
    Here is a detail of a painting from the same region, I took the photo to show you the cart and bulls/oxen and the house. This one is by Sujatno Koempoel, a relatively well-known artist, I bought it for 95 euro:
    DSC07726 (640x427).jpg

9. Danno

Danno Well-Known Member

Thank you! I only paid $40 but liked it and thought it was fairly well done. Nothing ventured.....

10. Any Jewelry

If you lived around here, I would certainly pay you twice what you paid, because this is a subject I am interested in. But, alas....

Draft saved Draft deleted