Victorian 14k signet ring. Dilemma?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by spartcom5, Oct 5, 2017.

1. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

Hey everyone so earlier I was at a pawn shop and found this ring for $75 plus tax. The tag it was attached to said 6.7 grams and when weighed I was told again it was 6.7 grams. I am certain this is what was told to me. However, when I got back to the car I looked at the receipt and magically it said 3.1 grams.......... Okay so now I am confused, why would they tell me 6.7 grams and then 3.1 grams on the receipt? I have a 5 day return cash back as well. I bought it because it looks handmade Victorian and the initials match mine which is crazy cool. It's somewhat big but I can make a sizer for it. What do you all think about this ring? Maker's mark is LG. It's 14k as well. I actually took pictures of the ring while in the store and you can clearly see the 6.7g on the tag in two of the pictures but it is 3.1g.
    20171004_150249_resized.jpg 20171004_150253_resized.jpg 20171004_150257_resized.jpg 20171004_150309_resized.jpg 20171004_150314_resized.jpg

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Fingers in the way of the bottom photo,it is also out of focus and the shank looks out of alignment/?bad repair.Ring is maybe hand assembled,5 pieces most likely die stamped.

3. spartcom5

Quick pictures i took while in store. I have much better ones Ill post soon.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I'm not seeing a lot of quality there....& 3.1 ain't 6.7....now is it ?

5. spartcom5

I mainly bought the ring because 1. I thought it was 6.7 grams 2. My initials 3. It being really old 4. I thought it looked handmade. I understand it may not be the best quality but I still thought it was cool. I may go back though and tell them it was definitely not 6.7 grams and I have a picture with their tag that says 6.7 grams. With that said what would you all do? Take it back full refund or try to get some money back and keep it? here are better pics. Notice how the two sides of the shank are different, which is why I thought it was done by hand? 20171004_231637_resized.jpg 20171004_231647_resized.jpg 20171004_231656_resized.jpg 20171004_231725_resized.jpg 20171004_231809_resized.jpg

6. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Maybe it's a married ring/sizing with metal removed,shank was removed for some reason and reattached out of alignment.

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

My 1st sterling case I bought for $195.
    I thought it was cool...old....neat.
    It wasn't worth the money then...or now !
    I was no older than you.

You like the ring....that's obvious....so buy it......see if you can get a discount for the weight being off.....& wear it every day to remind you to spend your hard earned cash wisely.....but every now and again...to treat yourself !!

8. buyingtime777

buyingtime777 Well-Known Member

I would have trust issues with that pawn shop and want to see anything I bought in the future weighed if applicable.

9. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

The obvious question seems to me to be what does it actually weigh? To me it looks heavier than 3 grams and I have handled a lot of gold rings.I suppuse it could be really small and you have really, really small fingers. Are you just going by the receipt or have you weighed it?

10. spartcom5

Oh yes, I weighed it at home and it is for sure 3.1 grams. Reason why it's so light but doesn't look like it is because it's hollow!

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  11. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

In the US, today's close for 3.1 grams of 14K was $73.76, so it seems you got a reasonable deal for the weight. However, that doesn't explain why the tag said 6.7 grams.

judy, Any Jewelry and Lucille.b like this.
  12. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Running the gold calculator just now, 3.1 grams of 14k gold is worth $74.93, so, essentially, you paid meltdown value for it. It has your initials; you can make it fit you; it very much has the look of a hand built piece; in these uncertain times, the price of gold is likely to keep going up. Conclusion?

Draft saved Draft deleted