Featured Victorian door handles story

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Lavrentii, May 19, 2024.

1. Lavrentii

Lavrentii Active Member

Hi community!
    Some interesting story for you here :)

These door handles passed through me almost two years ago. I saw them at a flea market and couldn't pass them by. I feel sorry only when I see broken things, or things repaired completely incorrectly. In this case, I was not sorry, because I knew that there was a small diamond hidden behind the paint.
    There were about 8 layers of paint on them of different colors and ages. I cannot know why they were completely painted, but perhaps during some crisis or war they were hidden from unwanted eyes in this way.
    Either way, I love giving old items a second chance. And he restored them completely, leaving a little patina where it was possible and appropriate in my opinion.
    If you are interested, I invite you to watch the restoration process on my YouTube channel. I rarely filmed before, but I’m glad that this material has been preserved.

вр1.JPG

вр2.JPG
    вр3.JPG

2. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

3. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Beautiful! Well done. The community needs more people like you!

4. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Beautiful Victorian Gothic Lav !

Aquitaine, Marote, johnnycb09 and 4 others like this.
  5. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Oh I love those!!!! Where is the diamond? It is an old mine cut?

Marote, johnnycb09, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  6. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Those are gorgeous, and nice work on the restoration.

I've had pretty good results boiling paint off items like this. Sometimes you get lucky and it comes off in large 'sheets.' Obviously I don't boil anything made of wood...

7. lovewrens

lovewrens Well-Known Member

That was so satisfying to watch! A lot of work, but a lot of reward!

8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Those are now ready to go right back to work. I've heard of people "cooking" paint off in an old crock pot bought for that purpose. No good for wood of course, as noted.

Lavrentii, Ghopper1924 and Marote like this.
  9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@laura9797, did he possibly mean they were "a diamond in the rough"......they are
    SO LOVELY now!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@Lavrentii, What a beautiful job you did on cleaning them up!!! SO NICE now!!!!

Marote, Lavrentii and Ghopper1924 like this.
  11. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Ahhhhhhh! Got it! Thank you:oops:

Marote, Lavrentii and Ghopper1924 like this.
  12. Lavrentii

Lavrentii Active Member

Sorry for my English, I meant that behind the paint there is a precious stone) Although I also have many interesting stories with diamonds, I will share them in the future)

Marote and laura9797 like this.
  13. Lavrentii

Lavrentii Active Member

Thank you! Yes, I also heard about this method, but did not use it. I have a lot of friends who are restorers and wizards; they work wonders. And I’m just learning as I work. I dream of learning to work with porcelain. I have a friend, he is a museum employee. Oh God, how he restores porcelain! It’s true, without special tools it’s not even noticeable that restoration was carried out.

Marote, lovewrens, sabre123 and 2 others like this.
  14. 808 raver

808 raver Well-Known Member

Nice job, I would say if your ever cleaning brass that has very bad tarnish use vinegar and salt, this will do the job far faster than mechanical cleaning or brass cleaner, also I would have buffed them to a bright shine, some antiques you shouldn't restore to as new but these should look as splendid as they were when new.

Lavrentii, Marote and Ghopper1924 like this.
  15. Lavrentii

Lavrentii Active Member

There was also a coating on the brass, such as blackening. And I wanted to keep it. I did not use special products for polishing and cleaning brass, although they are on hand. And I also wanted the item to look old, but if you polish and clean it completely, it will look new. I generally don’t clean old metal until it shines, the patina is wonderful

kentworld, Marote and 808 raver like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted