Featured Victorian/Edwardian photos in old locket

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Jaime Riggs, Dec 29, 2019.

1. Jaime Riggs

Jaime Riggs Well-Known Member

This was found in a thrift store in Statesville, NC. Gold locket with initials on front, gold filled, some kind of stone inset on back on a fleur de lis design. Photos are interesting, one is of a couple, the man is wearing a Marine Corps Uniform, my hubby thinks it is a band uniform as there is a Harp insignia on the collar, he thinks might also be an officer, not sure. Opposite photos are three small head shots. Locket has a patent date of Feb 1903 incised on the inside rim. Writing on the front and back of the hasp, can't make it out though. Do you think it is Victorian or Edwardian? 20191229_102908.jpg 20191229_102921.jpg 20191229_102815.jpg 20191229_104717 (1).jpg 20191229_102734.jpg

cxgirl, Any Jewelry and scoutshouse like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Well, it's certainly not Victorian. 1903 (or later) would put it in the Edwardian period as Queen Victoria died in 1901. Given his uniform, photograph may be World War I-ish.

Debora

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
  3. Jaime Riggs

Jaime Riggs Well-Known Member

People do sometimes put old photos in newer frames or lockets.

cxgirl likes this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Initials look like, to me, M G......

20191229_102908-1.jpg

Bakersgma, Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

haven't we seen one of these before ???

6. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Looks like the guy in uniform is wearing an Army musician collar device.

Figtree3 and Jaime Riggs like this.
  7. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

The guy in the fedora looks later than WWI so it may be a group of family members from different times, but definitely 1920-40 in my opinion.

Figtree3, Any Jewelry and Jaime Riggs like this.
  8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

People also sometimes put newer photos in older frames or lockets. I think that could be what happened here. (Although the patent date of 1903 may precede the date the locket was actually made.) The photo of the couple looks like WWI era to me. I can't see the others enough to tell, although the woman in the individual photo appears to be wearing an earlier style of dress and the picture could be from the era of the copyright date on the locket. She also, though, could have been wearing out-of-date clothing in a later photo.

cxgirl and Jaime Riggs like this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The photograph of the man in the hat might best be dated by his collar shape. Here's examples of 1920s shirt collars, for instance.

Debora

b667db95df4726ea693266f513d0986c.jpg

Jaime Riggs and Figtree3 like this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Photographs all look same era to me.

Debora

Jaime Riggs and Figtree3 like this.
  11. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I see three different possibilities. The man and woman look WWI so that would be around 1918. The woman in the group of photos has an 1890s type of dress and hairstyle. That man with the hat looks 1930ish as does the fellow in the middle with the same collar and tie.

Jaime Riggs likes this.
  12. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Did the outlining for a different one that was three initials.........SEVERAL months back......

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted