Featured Victorian-era Brass Counter Bell :)

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Shangas, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

It's the one in the middle. Picked it up yesterday. Here it is with its comrades:

[​IMG]

It's got a strong spring and a lovely tone when struck!

And just because I'm too lazy to build another thread, and I know this isn't an antique, but it is brass, so I'm putting it in here anyway:

[​IMG]

Tiny brass mortar & pestle :)

2. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

I like the call bells with springs! The one on our far right is pictured in Bradley & Hubbard 1883-1884 catalog, p. 220. In fact there are 2 pictures on the page of it. One of them is the bell standing alone ("No. 200 $9.00 per doz.") and the other is of the bell mounted on a square marble base ("No. 1100. White Marble Base, $11.00 per doz. No. 300. Same Pattern."). There are 2 differences though. The finial on bell is tulip shape and the end of the hammer/clapper or whatever a tiny bud shape. The finial on your bell is pointed as well as on the clapper. Nowwww there are several other bells with springs pictured in different patterns. Some of them have finials on the bell like yours.

I have been trying now for nearly a 1/2 hour to scan the catalog page for you. @#&^%$, I can't get the HP Photosmart 5520 printer's scanning software to work. This is the first time I have tried to scan since updating our desktop to Windows 10 a couple of weeks. It will print with no problems from any program even via Wifi, but not the scanning software. I finally got it to scan manually by punching stuff and such on the printer, but for the life of me can not find where the #$$%$$@ printer/scanner put the scans. By manually scanning there is no option to tell it where to store the scans or to name the scans. If you don't name the scans they always give it some sort of an alphanumeric name that is impossible to find. I have looked in all the obvious places like all the the HP's folders, etc... and have searched the drives several times with different keywords with no avail. Gee, this was going to be a good day with a bright sunny sky and temps in the 40s nearing 50. Wellllll, so much for optimism. I'll be playing havoc working through HP sites for answers or trying to understand a techie from Mars on the phone. I thought I'd bore y'all with this printer problem for I am miserable and misery loves company. :mad:

I can print out the page for you!! The next time you are driving through northeast MS holler, and I'll hand it to you as you pass by. :) That will probably be when pigs fly for you in Australia to be in this neck of the woods.

--- Susan

3. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Those are COOL! :)
    ~
    I've seen warnings here about 10 and have not loaded it though it annoys me on my screen all the time. :p
    Should I still not load it?

scoutshouse likes this.
  4. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

KOT
    Make Windows 10 Stop Downloading the Easy Way
    If you want a really simple and easy way to get rid of the “Get Windows 10” icon and stop your PC from downloading Windows 10, you can download a little piece of freeware called GWX Control Panel from a developer that isn’t happy with this nonsense either.

Download it, run it, and then click the “Disable Get Windows 10 App (permanently remove icon)” button. And then click the “Disable Operating System Upgrades in Windows Update” button too for good measure.

scoutshouse and KingofThings like this.
  5. daveydempsey

Susan
    Go to HP Photosmart`s website and download the latest drivers.

6. KingofThings

Thank you! :)

scoutshouse likes this.
  7. Ladybranch

I have had no other problems with Win 10, in fact I like it very much after I personalized it to my taste by changing around the Start Menu, etc... This scanning bug is the only problem I've had that I haven't solved in a matter of moments. Just a few minutes ago, I notice the scanning software icon was on, down on the task bar. I immediately click it and there was the software opened!!! I have no idea what I clicked to open it for I must have tried a good dozen things. Sooooo instead of scanning the page from the catalog while it was open, I wanted to see its properties - where it was coming from, location. To check properties one right clicks the button, icon, whatever. Wellllll, dumb me accidentally closed the program! It's gone!! I can't find the location for what I did to get it open. :mad: :(:nailbiting::arghh::bigtears::depressed::sour:

I certainly am not going to advise you one way of another. I have had it on my laptop for several months with no trouble there. Must people have no troubles with it, but their are many many who do. That, young man, is your decision! If you do load it and all h%** breaks loose, you can't blame me! This is what's called covering ones .... backside.

--- Susan

8. Ladybranch

Ooops, just noticed Davey's message about getting updated drivers. I will look into that. If the problem is the drivers why does it scan manually and why did the software open once - and dumb me can't remember the how and where of it? Seems if the drivers were at fault, it wouldn't scan at all. Oh, well drivers certainly won't hurt the situation.

--- Susan

scoutshouse likes this.
  9. KingofThings

I can if I want.............................:wideyed::eek::rolleyes::happy::)

scoutshouse likes this.
  10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Got a camera on your phone???? Snap a pic....upload to computer, edit and voila!!!!! Also.....when a scan or pic disappears I now know to go to (still on Win 7Pro, but probably similar) Computer/pictures/Libraries/Pictures/My Pictures.....it will be in there somewhere.....

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  11. Ladybranch

Yes, your right Aquitaine. I do have camera phones plus at least 2 digital cameras I could use. I was to upset over the scanning failures that I didn't want to bother with anything else at that moment. Scanning of book stuff and such is so much easy as it is at my elbow and takes less than a minute. Lazy me didn't want to get up, find the phone(s) or cameras, make sure they were charged, get the pic set up in proper lighting, etc. I would have reverted to a camera thing if problem not solved by this afternoon. Anyways, finally found the folder where the scans are located. Following is top part of the B&H catalog page. The one(s) in the same pattern as Shangas are top row, 2nd and 3rd from left. The ones with the same finial on the bell are 2nd row, 2nd and 3rd.

--- Susan
    BH1884CatalogBells.jpg

12. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Windows says: Try looking in the "Documents" folder, if you're using embedded Windows software, it may be saving under "Scanned Documents?" If using HP, you should be able (at some point) to designate where you want scans.

I feel you, Susan! I went to move some useful hypnosis files to the "Music" folder on the rooted Samsung Note *$&# I bought used. (I have to use Android File Transfer bc my macs won't just read the phone like a pc)

The "Music" folder - just disappeared! Now I have to go out and get a scanning program for 50 bucks and not even sure it will recover the FOLDER. Soul sucking.

KingofThings likes this.
  13. scoutshouse

ahhh - you found it! :)

KingofThings likes this.
  14. scoutshouse

Cool bells, Shanga - I'm interested in receipt holders of the same vintage.

15. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

TERRIFIC that you found it!!!:):):p:p:D:D:D:D:D:D!!!!

KingofThings and scoutshouse like this.
  16. Ladybranch

Scout, I had looked in Documents, in fact looked/searched alllllll over the computer for any folder with "scan" or "scanned" in its named. You could never guess where I finally found the scan. It was in one of my silver inventory picture folders, Reed and Barton, under the name RBFrancis1ServingPcs.jpg - honest! The last scan I had done before updating to W10 was some of my Francis the 1st flatware. I had saved the scans directly to the Reed & Barton folder. For some reason I had a serendipity moment when I remembered the last scanning I did was on silver and that the scanner stored under the last folder used unless the location and name were changed. Moral of this story, use the default locations for scanner folders when installing. When I installed the scanner software I didn't use all the default locations.

--- Susan

17. scoutshouse

Sadly, that makes total sense - now that you figured it out!

18. daveydempsey

Even though it is a combined printer/copier/scanner, they have separate drivers for each operation.
    Sometimes its best if you uninstall and then reinstall from scratch.

19. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

You mean the bill-spikes? I have an antique one of those, too! I'd take a photograph of it, but it's currently fulfilling its ultimate purpose.

20. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

Lady Branch, a lot of the older HP scanners will NOT work with win 10, HP has not made drivers for those. Mine is a 3050 laserjet and it basically is just a printer as hp will not mess with the "older" equipment.
    The bells are great by the way

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted