Featured Victorian fancy locket

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Willcpfc, Feb 20, 2021.

1. Willcpfc

Willcpfc Well-Known Member

I have this piece - apparently the hair belonged to some long forgotten relative.

It is certainly a locket with a bling factor. IMG_20210220_130900_compress45.jpg IMG_20210220_130923_compress4.jpg IMG_20210220_130947_compress25.jpg

2. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

would this be considered a mourning locket or do those only hold tears/fluid?

komokwa, Bronwen, judy and 1 other person like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes it is. The stones could be Bohemian garnets. Where was your family from?
    The bail looks decorated, could we see a photo of it?
    In the Netherlands this would be a mourning locket, since it is silver with garnets or glass garnets. Overhere garnets were worn for a later stage of mourning, although there are regional differences.

In most other countries this would be a sentimental locket, since it has no mourning symbols, or colours that are connected with mourning in those countries.
    Mourning lockets don't hold fluid, as far as I know.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
  4. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Thanks I wasn't sure. I have seen some lockets that hold fluid for 'tears' or holy water. I have seen them listed as mourning lockets or pendants.

Bronwen, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

SWEET! Is it marked anywhere?

Bronwen and judy like this.
  6. Willcpfc

IMG_20210220_150000_compress85.jpg
    Family is British, and well travelled back in the day.
    Here is the bail and thanks for the info.

7. Willcpfc

No markings on this piece that I have found.

Bronwen, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Agree with origins. I have my Great Grandfather's bracelet with similar construction that he brought with him when he escaped the pogroms in the 1890s in the Austro-Hungarian Empire.
    The story goes that each family member gave him something of value that he could sell upon arrival here to get started. The bracelet is one of the items he did not part with.

komokwa, Bronwen, judy and 3 others like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

An arrow, lovely. Very 19th century. Often associated with Cupid's arrow, so this could have been given by an admirer or a fiance.
    In that case it is not a mourning locket. These were traded all over the Western world, btw. I asked about the origin of your family to see if it could be mourning connected. These lockets were used differently in different countries.

10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'll bet Bohemian garnets, Jabolonec. Nineteenth century.

If you want to clean that, an old soft toothbrush with either a drop of gin/vodka on it or a spray of window cleaning stuff. Then use a Sunshine cloth on the metal.

komokwa, Bronwen, judy and 1 other person like this.
  11. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

OBB, weren't these mostly base metals?

Bronwen and judy like this.
  12. Willcpfc

Again, thank you for the info. This was a family heirloom - it is very unfortunate that the actual story behind it has been lost.

komokwa, kyratango, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

They were mounted in all metals that were fashionable at the time, also gold and silver.
    The Bohemians even used a special low fineness 'garnet gold', .250 if I am correct.

kyratango, Bronwen and judy like this.
  14. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

That's an especially nice one with the large center stone. Beautiful!

15. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I've garnets in silver, gold washed silver and brass, it did vary as aj says. They also sometimes mixed glass stones with real. A Sunshine Cloth will work on anything. ;)

Bronwen likes this.
  16. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

I've never heard of that either. There are the so-called lacrymatories or tear bottles, but that charming story has been debunked.

lachrymatory.jpg

Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  17. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

A legend... These are perfume bottles called "corsetière" worn inside the dress under the corset on the bosom.

18. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted