Featured Victorian GF Locket 8 Photos

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by JewelryPicker, Jun 17, 2023.

1. JewelryPicker

JewelryPicker Well-Known Member

Picked this up at a yard sale this morning. Not my best score this morning, but definitely a nice piece

Victorian gold filled locket, simply covered in design work, with black enamel on the front. The locket has 4 sections with 3 hinges, allowing for it to hold a whopping 8 photos. Though, one of the inner sections that would allow a front and back photo, is missing it’s beveled glass for the one side, basically making it unable to hold either a front or back photo.

When it was shown to me, it contained a single old photo, whom the owner identified as either her grandmother or great grandmother. The owner was probably in her 80’s.

for whatever reason, she wanted to sell it, but didn’t have it out on the table. After I asked if she was selling any jewelry she chuckled and said that’s all anyone is asking for this morning. (That tells me I got a late start). Then she pulled this locket out of her pocket and told me she didn’t show this to anyone yet. And she was interested in selling it. I made an offer and she was happy. But she wanted to keep the photo. I took it home and worked it a bit until I got the photo out, then retuned it to her.

BA9D3C1D-E57A-4980-B86D-A8B64F6CE370.jpeg FB644F6B-460F-4DDD-9739-C42517F1C8C8.jpeg 113E1386-8309-4D66-B111-49F450F90076.jpeg 349CCBCE-B198-4A0D-952D-9FE1858098FB.jpeg E5CE4D5E-85EF-4DD8-95DF-57154837632B.jpeg 6E81E571-7983-4EE9-A09C-4DADDD97F772.jpeg C2759CAE-EE06-4F60-80CB-D00D34E7D09D.jpeg C3D18AE9-0CA0-46D5-8D2E-659E5AEC9EFC.jpeg 69433B2E-969D-4243-97A8-7E1B8CCC7E7D.jpeg 82DAD9E8-E801-4557-B0E7-2F83BFA42E6A.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 17, 2023
  2. Dyrektoressa

Dyrektoressa Member

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Oh, sweet!

Debora

kyratango and JewelryPicker like this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Now, that's pretty snazzy!!! And appears to be in great shape except for the one section that needs the glass replaced!!!:happy::happy::happy:

Marko, kyratango and JewelryPicker like this.
  5. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Very cool. I've never seen one of those!

kyratango and JewelryPicker like this.
  6. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Very interesting! Never seen one with that much compartments!

JewelryPicker and Dessert58 like this.
  7. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Nice piece-love Victorian enameled jewelry.
    "I asked if she was selling any jewelry she chuckled and said that’s all anyone is asking for this morning."
    40 years ago when we had garage sales,the 'early birds' (2-3 days ahead !) would knock on the door-''Got any Art,Rugs or Jewelry ?''.

Lucille.b and kyratango like this.
  8. JewelryPicker

Well, I received a phone call this morning, it was the woman who sold me the locket. (When I took the photo back, I gave her my card in case she had other items to sell in the future)

her voice was trembling, asking if she could buy it back. She said she couldn’t sleep last night and she didn’t know why she sold it but was extremely regretful after the fact. I told her I’d bring it back. Luckily, I hadn’t sold it yet because I had just returned from the antique market but didn’t take it along because planned on listing it on eBay. (Had it been gold rather than gold filled, her call would have come too late)

so I returned it this morning and she gave me my money back. She was still all emotional, saying it was the last thing her mother gave her before passing away.

I’m glad I was able to make her whole again

9. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Touched by the angels JP-well done !
    PS-Not trying to be silly,but you could write quite a touching Hallmark movie based on this.Yes it's been aeons since we believed in Santa,but we still watch the HM channel around Christmas.

Aquitaine, IvaPan and kyratango like this.
  10. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Meaning you would have scrapped it if it were gold?

11. JewelryPicker

No, I have a dealer there who I sell my high end Victorian gold to. If it were 14k, he would have paid in the $1500-2000 range without blinking an eye. Victorian GF, I do better on eBay compared to what the dealers will pay

Aquitaine, J Dagger and kyratango like this.
  12. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Gotcha! Well glad to hear you got it back to her, that was nice.

13. Dyrektoressa

Dyrektoressa Member

14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I think she found out it was worth more elsewhere..........:meh:

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
  15. JewelryPicker

That thought crossed my mind as I was driving back to her house, but she was sincerely emotional. And if that was the case, oh well. I’d prefer to err on the side of doing the right thing.

she did say that when she’s ready to part with it she would let me know, asking if the $ figure would hold until then. Then she also said she would call me soon about her husband’s coin collection that he inherited from his grandfather.

maybe blowing smoke, maybe a future opportunity

Figtree3, Aquitaine, J Dagger and 3 others like this.
  16. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

maybe both !

she didn’t know why she sold it..........
    but was extremely regretful

it was the last thing her mother gave her before passing away. ...........

when she’s ready to part with it she would let me know..........:shifty:

in my book.........those statements just don't jive !!!!!:meh:

if she'd thanked you and said I'll cherish this the rest. of my life.....

then I'd believe her !!;)

Figtree3 and JewelryPicker like this.
  17. JewelryPicker

I’ve never met a person in their 80’s that’s indecisive about letting go of material objects either

IvaPan and komokwa like this.
  18. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

IMO, if this lady was lying, she could have made a good career as an actress.

From what I read I tend to believe her. There might be many reasons behind her inconsistent behaviour and not necessarily fraudulent.

I would have done the same as JewelryPicker no matter if it would pay off or not.

Draft saved Draft deleted