Featured Victorian Gutta Percha Photo Album advice

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by KSW, Mar 8, 2023.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I saw an old photo album in a cabinet in a charity shop today but didn’t have time to ask to unlock it to have a proper look as I had to do the school run.
    The label said ‘Victorian Ebony Photo Album with photos £90’
    It was very ornate and having looked online I’m wondering if it’s actually Gutta Percha rather than ebony?
    If I go back tomorrow please can anyone tell me what should I look for to decide if it’s worth considering buying? Do old photos have any value, are there any subject matter that are particularly desirable?

It was about the size of an iPad.
    I’ve pulled a photo from the internet as a rough guide as to what it looked like.
    Thanks for any help :)

9729E271-8CA5-4FF0-A7CF-2CDDBA327467.jpeg

Born2it, judy, cxgirl and 3 others like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Never seen one made of carved wood. The daguerrotype covers made in a similar design were all molded. The ones I've seen anyway. They did make bigger ones for larger images.

Figtree3, judy, KSW and 1 other person like this.
  3. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Gutta Percha Daguerreotype Cases usually only held one or two pics.If this is a whole album I'm guessing that'd be fairly unique.They did make larger cases as Evely said for half & whole plates-if this was filled with Ambrotypes or Daguerreotypes that would be very good.If Tintypes or Albumen Prints less so unless of course historic.
    Is it as large as a sheet of typing paper or smaller ?

judy, KSW, Aquitaine and 1 other person like this.
  4. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

If it's that large, and in decent shape (no major cracks or huge chunks missing), then it's worth getting no matter the image(s) inside.

Figtree3, judy, cxgirl and 3 others like this.
  5. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

6. bosko69

Ditto Kronos-Only seen Full Plate Cased Dags in Museums.

KSW and Aquitaine like this.
  7. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

8. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

A bit smaller than A4, slightly bigger than A5?
    I couldn’t see it from the side so maybe it’s just a couple of photos rather than an album, I will go back and look.

9. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I think this is moulded too.

That’s worth knowing.
    I’ll go back today and see if it’s still there. Thankyou

I’ve just gone off it slightly :meh::vomit:

Wow, Thankyou @Kronos for looking that up!

kyratango, cxgirl and Lucille.b like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Not nearly as bad as your grouse(?) foot with bugs or Tokyo memento.:playful:

kyratango and KSW like this.
  11. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

old photos are worth more if person identified. I have found that old photos don't sell like they use to unless unusual or historic.

12. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

There you go again, dragging up the past :rolleyes:.
    I’ve still got the grouse foot together with livestock, after all a pet is for life not just for Christmas.
    My Tokyo poo pendant is one of my most treasured possessions, I think maybe a touch of green eye?:blackalien:
    :kiss::hilarious:

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Ok, so I bought it :nailbiting:
    It came with a huge stack of photos and other paperwork that they had in the backroom.
    I’ll go through it all and post photos and hope I didn’t make a mistake:confused:

Born2it, Figtree3, IvaPan and 4 others like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

:shame:
    You know me too well.:joyful:
    Probably not.:)

IvaPan and kyratango like this.
  15. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Not with all the photos and accompanying paperwork you didn't!

Born2it, Figtree3 and kyratango like this.
  16. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Old paper photos of random people in average garb have very little to no value. Original photos of anything transportation related, downtowns, horses, certain architecture, anything Chinese, military, “freaks”, oddities are all good. With the amount you know I’m sure you could look at photos and know without knowing if they would have interest or not. I’ve done well with old photos. What’s great is that ephemera is so economic to store. I’m trying to transition mostly into ephemera, jewelry, knives, militaria, pens/pencils, anything small to save space. All daugs have value. Many ambros do. Tin types not as much on average.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2023
    Houseful likes this.
  17. bosko69

KSW-Let's keep it 'hush-hush',but u do pretty well consistently ;)

KSW likes this.
  18. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Let’s hope so….
    Ok, here we go :nailbiting:
    This thing is huge. I wildly underestimated its size. It’s 11.5” x 9”. Around 20 pages and seriously heavy.
    Front is in good condition, the leather binding is very poor.

It may be made by JJ.B.Lippincott & Company that were American (Philadelphia)founded in 1836 until 1977. This may be incorrect.

It’s full of photos although I suspect most are of little value or interest? Sadly none are dated, probably a range of dates.
    There was also a stack of personal paperwork, another smaller photo album and some huge photos.
    Bear with me as there are a lot of photos!
    Thankyou for any information :)
    231D0E8D-A398-43FE-B44D-E7383E4EE9B2.jpeg A29A6833-0055-4540-ABA0-14F70262110D.jpeg 202A7C3D-D624-4543-B711-DAA96EB56065.jpeg 625C9CB7-F7AA-4B51-B9B7-ABDA66B9FD79.jpeg 84874B6F-957E-4818-871E-56D89F033CF2.jpeg E5079218-666D-4A9E-BE9D-3AFA624A240A.jpeg D3394814-EF75-409E-89CE-31B2D35E0476.jpeg 6BC27047-783A-4BDE-A467-C2E1649397B7.jpeg 2C2B6927-ACB1-4A89-B0B0-0E3DC1B0193E.jpeg

Born2it, Figtree3, cxgirl and 2 others like this.
  19. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

20. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted