Victorian majolica in general

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by bluemoon, Oct 19, 2017.

1. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

First I have a question on my mind:
    How much do things like glaze chips affect the value and general desirability of Victorian majolica? Any other tips are appreciated as well.
    I can't remember whether there are any collectors of Victorian or Edwardian majolica here? It could be nice to see the different pieces of majolica you have.

pearlsnblume and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

This is more majolica in very general. Have been told that allover fine crazing of the glaze is expected & not particularly considered a blemish. This is not quite Victorian. John Cusick's line of corn ware for Brush-McCoy, approx. 1925.

Corn lidded jar adj.JPG Corn lidded jar crazing.JPG

3. Bronwen

I should perhaps add that this was in active use in my Iowa grandmother's kitchen, so has the expected chipping around the edges where the lid meets the body of the jar. Other sides are in the same condition as the one shown.

pearlsnblume and bluemoon like this.
  4. buyingtime777

buyingtime777 Well-Known Member

I happened upon a piece recently for a pittance. It is my first piece. Austrian in origin. I am using a picture of an identical pair I found on the internet as I have not tried to photograph mine. The picture does not even begin to capture how bright this piece is with a very slight iridescent sheen on top of the very vivid colors.. Absolutely a lovely thing and it has lit an intense fire in my collecting senses.[​IMG]

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

We collect the same stuff, Bronwen!

Ear of corn pitcher 2.jpg

6. Bronwen

I do not have the space for a large number of these pieces. Have a mug & a creamer. Would like to have the sugar bowl. I check only occasionally, so perhaps have missed one, but have only seen it once. As I recall, it sold for more than $200.

Because my grandmother used the lidded jar to keep salt nearby, when just a pinch was needed, of course had to buy the piece that actually says SALT on it, is designed to hang on the wall & has a lid that you can push up with one hand to get your pinch & then let down again, hinged sort of like a jaw. Also have a large butter tub, BUTTER, that may or may not once have had a lid.

I have sort of a corn shrine in my kitchen. The dried ear standing up at the back came from my grandparents' farm.

CornShrine1.PNG

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

My little creamer/pitcher is the only piece I have. It was sitting on a mixed shelf - one of this, one of that - at an estate sale last summer. If I recall, it was either $8 or $10. I'd love to have a few more, but I'm cheap, cheap, cheap. :chicken:

Bronwen and judy like this.
  8. Bronwen

Me too, most of the time. I would not have the other pieces if not for the jar. No one in my small family could remember a time when the jar was not in my grandmother's kitchen; no one stepped forward when we were downsizing my grandfather's household goods preparatory to a move & my mother asked, Does anyone want that thing? I couldn't bear to see it leave the family & when I went over to examine it more closely, realized it was really very well done, so... The painting on the jar & the modeling of the leaves is better than on any of the other pieces. The line was in production for many years; quality seems to have fallen off over time.

9. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

This isn't helping the craving I've had today to eat miniature corn.

Bakersgma, Bronwen and judy like this.
  10. Bronwen

In case you had not noticed, we are all expert enablers - chomp away, I say. :rolleyes:

Christmasjoy, bluemoon and Bakersgma like this.
  11. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I've got a small collection of continental majolica but nothing from England. As far as I can tell the English majolica tends to be most expensive and the easiest to identify because so much of it was marked.

There isn't an easy answer to your damage question. There are just too many variables. How visible is the damage? On what part of the item? How rare is the item overall? Is the damage stable or does it have a high likelihood of getting worse over time? All these issues can affect the percentage.

My favorite majolica pieces are these candleholders. One has a repaired wing. I know they're German but I can't remember the manufacturer off-hand. I'd need to look it up but I'm on my way out. I'm having trouble getting one off my prescriptions refilled so I need to go to one of my doctor's office and slap some people around.
    Don

IMG_20171020_125840670.jpg IMG_20171020_125858637.jpg IMG_20171020_125850068.jpg

12. Bronwen

Ooh, the gryphons are lovely! Good luck with the Rx.

judy likes this.
  13. buyingtime777

buyingtime777 Well-Known Member

Love those! Mythological creatures always appeal to me and the deep blue in the bases rally set those off!

Bronwen and judy like this.
  14. Dustin Wiggin

Dustin Wiggin New Member

Do you know maker? How old? We have had one in our family for very long time.

Bronwen likes this.
  15. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

On the candlesticks, the maker is R.M. Krause of Schweidnitz, according to Rontgen - 1882-1929.

dgbjwc and Bronwen like this.
  16. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Thank you so much!
    Don

Bronwen and moreotherstuff like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted