Featured Victorian Necklace Cleaning Tips

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by George Chaney, Jul 28, 2022.

1. George Chaney

George Chaney Well-Known Member

So, I was able to pick this tid bit up for a steal. Rather than run around searching I know some of you know the style right off hand :)

I can't make out the maker as the stamp is pooh, but the balance of the markings date it.

Curious, how would you recommend cleaning/polishing this given all of the links and gaps.

132174922_8_x.jpg 132174922_2_x.jpg 132174922_5_x.jpg 132174922_7_x.jpg

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Another nice example of quasi- aesthetic period designs, although at 1906 (the g date letter for Birmingham) it's technically outside of both the Victorian and aesthetic range.

3. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

5. George Chaney

KSW, Lucille.b and Xristina like this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Me too generally, but that would be a good TV-watching chore.

George Chaney and kyratango like this.
  7. Highly recommend that metals with oxidization be cleaned with only simple warm mild soapy (non lotion based) water and gently rub between fingers. Use a soft non-abrasive cloth to pat dry. The oxidation or patina is set in the metal and should not remove it however it’s best to not use a commercial jewelry cleaner or any harsh chemicals besides warm soapy water that may or could create issues.

8. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

https://www.ebay.com/sch/164352/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=sunshine+cloths+

At least when you use Sunshine Cloths you don't have to deal with the polish residue left by polishes etc. ;):happy:

As others have said a bath in mild soapy water & a gentle brushing of the crevices
    should get rid of the gunk. Then once it is dry a quick gentle rub with the cloth should make it look so much better. :happy::happy:

BTW the same procedure can be used on a lot of the other pieces you have shown.:happy:

9. George Chaney

@bercrystal thank you! I have a polishing cloth - hate using it. I probably need to order a new one anyway.

bercrystal and Lucille.b like this.
  10. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

It's really great! I'm jealous!
    Yes, like everyone else said, just a polishing cloth.

11. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Old blackened ones still work, just leaving a softer shine!:happy:

12. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I don't know if anyone agrees with me, but I would use a foaming silver polish like Wright's Silver Cram to polish it. It will clean in the crevasses, not remove any intentional darkening, and washes away so there is no dried polish residue to deal with :)

13. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I like the foaming stuff. It’s my ‘go to’ when my sunshine cloth is stumped. As you say, it washes off really easily and is non abrasive.

Draft saved Draft deleted