Featured Victorian Purses!

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by HippAntiques, May 17, 2020.

1. HippAntiques

HippAntiques Well-Known Member

We found a bunch of Victorian purses in some of my Mother-in-Law's stuff. They're all in good condition, with no damage and complete. I looked closely on the insides, and couldn't find any markings in the metal. I'm not a purse collector, and would like to sell them. But, I have no clue what they're worth, or what to sell them for. Thought I'd post pics here, and see what others can tell me about them. Thanks!!

IMG_8728.jpg IMG_8729.jpg IMG_8730.jpg IMG_8731.jpg IMG_8732.jpg IMG_8733.jpg IMG_8734.jpg IMG_8735.jpg IMG_8736.jpg

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I don't think these are Victorian. More early 1900s -
    Embroidered and the last one looks like petite point.
    Wait for other opinions.

For pricing, I prefer ebay Completeds rather than Sold. Shows how many were actually listed, with what sold. Gives a better idea of how much interest is there. Also what price range people were asking.

The purses are in very good condition. That's a big plus.

3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

upload_2020-5-17_11-1-28.png
    I think this clasp points toward the late 20s, early 30s

4. HippAntiques

HippAntiques Well-Known Member

Makes sense. Looks art deco.

Christmasjoy, Lucille.b, judy and 3 others like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Agree not Victorian.

Debora

Lucille.b, kyratango and pearlsnblume like this.
  6. lvetterli

lvetterli Well-Known Member

For pricing, I prefer ebay Completeds rather than Sold. Shows how many were actually listed, with what sold. Gives a better idea of how much interest is there. Also what price range people were asking.

When I use Ebay to find prices, I always start with current listings to see how much competition I'm up against, then to COMPLETED to see how many have closed recently, then to SOLDS for an idea of how to price mine. I usually sort each group by lowest first. Sometimes it will take several searches like this before I'm comfortable, people don't always call things widgets, sometimes they call them doodads so I gotta check all the possibilities.

Oh, I also figured out that if an item is listed "good until sold or canceled" it doesn't show up in completeds until it sells.

Linda

Lucille.b, kyratango, judy and 2 others like this.
  7. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

First off.... LOVE these purses. They are cheerful and wonderful! Your mother-in-law had great taste. :)

Excellent suggestions above about getting a sense of values. Another small thing to take in account, did the seller of the auction you are comparing to offer free shipping or not. It is sort of the grand total you want when you make your comparison.

I would think these would all find a buyer.

8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I live & learn....never knew there was a difference between 'Completed' & 'Sold'!!!!

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Completed and Sold are both useful because Completed tells you have many were on offer (supply) and Sold tells you how many were of interest to buyers (demand.)

Debora

Lucille.b likes this.
  10. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Also, when you click on Ebay "Completed" it shows ended auctions sold and unsold.

If you want sold only, click on Ebay "Sold".

Draft saved Draft deleted