Featured Victorian Shakers and Condiment Sets

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Scott, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Scott

Scott Active Member

Here are some others.

Attached Files:

Bookahtoo likes this.
  2. Scott

Scott Active Member

Two rare sugar shakers!

Attached Files:

3. Scott

Scott Active Member

Here are 2 pretty rare sugar shakers. The blue is Polka Dot and the cranberry is Ribbed opal coinspot.

Attached Files:

4. Scott

Scott Active Member

Sorry, did that one twice! I like to post and talk about what I collect. What is the point on collecting if you are going to hide it away. So many collectors do just that and that never made any sense to me. When you have a large collection of anything that has value, of course you need to use your head and not expose yourself to anything bad such as robbery but you can certainly show and talk about what you love and still use your head. Many collectors just show and talk about their collections to others in a club or of like interest. While that is all good and fine to an extent but one soon finds themselves just preaching to the choir!

Just a thought....

5. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

Pretty much any Brownie stuff, regardless of genre, is highly collectable and really has been for quite some time.

Mt. Washington is well known for their Brownie decoration, long being held in high esteem by even the most advanced collectors. To find it on a rare style of blank is nearly to much to dream of.

I've been messin' with this stuff for 40+ yrs 'n never had a Mt. Wash Brownie piece though I've always desired one. I've had other Brownie stuff but even then rarely.

Any chicks? Please? I love those little chick in shell shakers. Among my favorite antiques in general. (these I've had a few of.)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  6. Scott

Scott Active Member

You mean these?

Attached Files:

kentworld likes this.
  7. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

Yup.
    I like all those figurals. I've had a bunch of eggs, a few chicks. a GORGEOUS onion sugar shaker, 'n a few of the Xmas shakers in some pretty rare colors, and a few others. Never had any Scallops though, they're very cool, especially with their original stands, maybe with a couple salt dips on alternate sides for good measure. Just dreamin' on my part.

8. Scott

Scott Active Member

Would you believe that we found these in upstate NY at a major show for 20.00!
    Did you ever belong to the shaker club?

9. Scott

Scott Active Member

My mom has most of the Mt Washington shakers in her collection. Eggs, Figs (in decorated opalware, cranberry, and decorated crystal), Brownies, etc.

10. Scott

Scott Active Member

Here are a couple more. Northwood Chrysanthemum Sprig in blue and Greentown's Holly Amber

Attached Files:

11. Scott

Scott Active Member

Here are some other unusual Mt Washington pieces

Attached Files:

12. Scott

Scott Active Member

Peachblow! This is a heat sensitive glass that is very popular with collectors today. The Mt Washington and Stevens & Williams examples are probably the hardest to find.

Attached Files:

13. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

What an amazing collection, Scott! Did your Mom get you started on the journey?

I have a small "accidental" collection of pottery shakers - just because they appealed to me. I have open shelving in my kitchen so it's a nice place to fit a few sets here and there. :joyful:

14. Scott

Scott Active Member

No, actually I started by finding a shaker in the shape of a Acorn. Back in the day we both collected Carnival glass and then moved on from there.
    Actually I have a collection of OLD carnival glass shakers which are extremely rare.
    Thanks so much for the kind words!

15. Scott

Scott Active Member

Here is one Acorn set

Attached Files:

16. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Scott, keep them coming, they are all delightful to look at!

17. Scott

Scott Active Member

Will do, I'm taking a break tonight but will do more tomorrow night!

18. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

What makes a shaker a puzzle?

19. Scott

Scott Active Member

Those shakers have jagged lines through them that connect with each other that sort of look like the pieces of a puzzle all put together. It may be hard to see in the picture. Some examples are outlined in gold.

20. rro2000

rro2000 Active Member

Great collection! Can't wait to see more pictures.

Draft saved Draft deleted