Featured Victorian Shakers and Condiment Sets

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Scott, Jun 29, 2014.

1. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Thanks for that. I was imagining something like puzzle mug where you have to know the secret to get it to pour properly.

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I realized that I do have a glass shaker! Cut (and probably ABP) with sterling collar and shaker top. In the picture you'll see a second sterling top next to it. I got these at a family-run estate sale a couple years ago. In one room there was an enormous display of glassware, most of it uninteresting to me. But in the midst of it was this single shaker and a little way over the top by itself. I asked if anyone remembered a second shaker. Nope. So they gave me the second top for free. The complete shaker was only $1! :woot:

Shaker with extra top 2.jpg

3. Scott

Scott Active Member

In the interest of variety, here are some chocolate glass examples in which most are hard to come by.
    1st is Chrysanthemum
    2nd is Ribbed
    3rd is Geneva
    4th is Leaf Bracket

Attached Files:

cxgirl likes this.
  4. Scott

Scott Active Member

Here are a few sets in silverplate holders

Attached Files:

cxgirl likes this.
  5. Scott

Scott Active Member

Mt Washington produced many different lines of glass in their day. One is a type called Colonial Ware. Shakers are almost unheard of. Here are two sugar shakers and are marked!

Attached Files:

cxgirl likes this.
  6. Scott

Scott Active Member

Phoenix glass produced some of the most colorful glass of the period. They produced a line of barrel shaped sugar shakers in all sorts of glass. Sugar Shaker 1.JPG Sugar Shaker 2.JPG Sugar Shaker 3.JPG Sugar Shaker 4.JPG Sugar Shaker 1.JPG Sugar Shaker 2.JPG Sugar Shaker 3.JPG Sugar Shaker 4.JPG

cxgirl likes this.
  7. Scott

Scott Active Member

Sorry, goofed that one up :)

8. Scott

Scott Active Member

This set is produced by Mt Washington. This highly unusual decoration are miniature works of art. May have been produced for a ships captain's family?

Attached Files:

cxgirl likes this.
  9. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

Love the Amberina with the cruet.

10. Scott

Scott Active Member

Thanks, I will post some more amberina down the line.

11. Scott

Scott Active Member

Here is a neat pair!

Attached Files:

cxgirl likes this.
  12. Scott

Scott Active Member

Here is a most unusual Mt Washington Egg. Its blue opaque all the was through, its not decoration.

Attached Files:

cxgirl likes this.
  13. Scott

Scott Active Member

Here are a few more Amberina

Attached Files:

cxgirl likes this.
  14. Great thread, A question for you, I am working with a client to sell a collection of shakers, there are some that are in pairs and some are singles, should I list the pairs seperatly or as pairs? My thought was that the overall price for my client would be higher by selling individually.

15. Scott

Scott Active Member

Hi,
    You would need to know what the value of the shakers that are in pairs. There are collectors of singles and of pairs. However, if you have a pair of shakers that are of great value, you may want to list those separately for two reasons. The first is there is a chance for more that one person to have the opportunity to get one and the second is that listing two big money items together makes it more difficult to get the money you are looking for because of the high value. That drops it down to much fewer people bidding it up too high.
    I hope that makes sense,

Scott

16. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Just caught up with the photos, Wow, they are all beautiful! I really like the Mt Washington set with the ship, the chocolate glass ones, and the double bubble ones.
    Thanks for showing these, can't wait to see more!
    Mary

17. Scott

Scott Active Member

Glad that you like them. Yes, the ships are pretty special, I have never seen another pair. That makes me believe that they were special order.
    I will be posting more this weekend.

Scott

18. Scott

Scott Active Member

Here is an interesting item I picked up a while back. As a shaker collector, its interesting to have the device that create a shaker. This shaker mould is for a Fostoria Coin shaker, a later version not the original, perhaps the 60s, 70s? Im not totally sure but in my experience you do not see these things just lying around. They are held by glass companies or the earlier, much earlier ones were destroyed or lost in time.

Attached Files:

cxgirl and kentworld like this.
  19. Scott

Scott Active Member

Here is a most unusual shaker. I believe that sometimes when items are designed experimental pieces are created. The shaker on the right is the correct Reverse Swirl pattern that was the production piece. The name was derived by the opalescent swirls going in the opposite direction from the moulded swirls in the glass. The shaker on the left was a piece that has the opalescent swirls and the moulded swirls go in the same direction. This example is the only one that I'm aware of. It makes for an interesting optical illusion! However its not, its real!

It was produced by the Buckeye Glass Company.

Attached Files:

cxgirl likes this.
  20. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Those swirl shakers are very cool Scott!

Draft saved Draft deleted