Featured Victorian Shakers and Condiment Sets

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Scott, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Scott

Scott Active Member

Hi Mary,

Yes they are pretty cool together. The one on the left is the only one that I know of!

Scott

2. Scott

Scott Active Member

What got me started in shaker collecting was when I found a pink Acorn shaped shaker in an antique shop. I thought it was so interesting and bought it. That was just the beginning! Here are a few more Acorn shakers Ive picked up along the way.

Attached Files:

Leah Goodwin likes this.
  3. Scott

Scott Active Member

The pattern, Bubble Lattice is a nice pattern. It was produced by Hobbs, Brockunier & Co.
    Pictured her is the S&P with the mustard, toothpick holder, and the sugar shaker. All are in a blue frosted finish.

Attached Files:

Leah Goodwin likes this.
  4. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

lol, the first one is always the killer, then you find the 2nd piece and before you know it you have a collection!
    Love the acorn ones, quite a variety of colours and glass. Are they all by the same maker?
    Would they have have mustard, toothpick & sugar to match like the bubble lattice (love those ones too).
    Mary

Leah Goodwin likes this.
  5. Scott

Scott Active Member

The ones with the opaque green shaker are produced by Challinor, Taylor. The others were produced by Beaumont. The cranberry sugar shaker is probably the rarest even though the clear salt shaker is pretty rare!
    No, they were only produced in the salt, sugar shakers and a toothpick. I will have to post a couple tonight.

Leah Goodwin likes this.
  6. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Wonderful shakers! Suspect many members have nice collections, would love to see more - strikes me that 'Personal Collections', or 'Share Your Stuff', or something along those lines might be a nice category here. For me, sometimes only have the time to look at a few posts, and often only hit a couple of categories (I miss a lot)...

~Cheryl

Leah Goodwin likes this.
  7. Scott

Scott Active Member

Hi Cheryl,

Thank you, the way I look at it is, what is the sense of collecting if you do not share what you have. So many people collect and just hide it away, never made much sense to me. Yes, you need to be cautious, however this type of forum is perfect for sharing. You don't need to say exactly where you live so that allows someone to share a collection of any value.

8. Scott

Scott Active Member

Here are a few shakers with a Butterfly decoration. The cranberry shaker's ID is not known to me. The one with "Salt" written on it was produced by Monroe and is part of their Wavecrest line. A butterfly decoration on a Wavecrest piece is extremely rare! The last is a Bohemian piece, probably Harrach.

Attached Files:

Leah Goodwin likes this.
  9. Scott

Scott Active Member

Here are a few different colors on the popular Coinspot design and were produced by various makers

Attached Files:

Leah Goodwin likes this.
  10. Leah Goodwin

Leah Goodwin Member

Hi Scott!! For some reason I can't see your pics from comment #68 and #69. Can't wait to see... or am I having TI? ;)

11. Scott

Scott Active Member

Wow, they seem to be there. Did you refresh the page?

Leah Goodwin likes this.
  12. Leah Goodwin

Leah Goodwin Member

It's me, and you're right, Scott. I just needed to refresh the page! ~Thanks

13. Scott

Scott Active Member

14. Leah Goodwin

Leah Goodwin Member

I just love all those "smilies" to choose from!! :playful:

15. Scott

Scott Active Member

Here are some interesting castor sets. While 90% of the castor sets produced were in clear glass, here are some rare colored sets.

Attached Files:

Leah Goodwin likes this.
  16. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Those are very nice, Scott. Do you recall who made the frames? (Says the silver collector who has one of these on her bucket list... :shy: )

17. Scott

Scott Active Member

Well, Wilcox, Tufts, Pairpoint comes to mind. They are high up on a shelf and tough to reach right now. I took these pics a while back. But all the major makers made these kinds of things.

18. Bakersgma

Yes, I know. Just curious. I've never seen a "whole" one in person - with all the matching pieces - at a price that would fit the budget. ;)

19. Scott

Scott Active Member

Clear sets are not too bad anymore. It depends upon the pattern. Do you see many sets by you?

20. Bakersgma

Actually I don't see them all in one piece out here. Best you can do is something with damage to the frame (and no containers at all) or singleton pieces of the glass - and yes all clear. Just because it was cheap, I bought a Meriden Britannia Co. base (the handle and tongs had gone missing) with a "close-enough" castor (probably for pickles) that did have the matching lid. I use it in the bathroom for Q-tips. :angelic:

The silverplate was all gone, or I would have tried to make it presentable.

Draft saved Draft deleted