Featured Victorian Shakers and Condiment Sets

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Scott, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Scott

Scott Active Member

Yes, it sounds like a pickle castor frame. There is an excellent company that does repair and replating but its very expensive.
    Im surprised that you cant find any complete sets.

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

You need to understand the perspective this far west. "Antiques" are what the rest of the world calls "Vintage" or "Retro." Having grown up and lived most of my adult life in NY and New England, it's kind of sad. True antique dealers are few and far between. The local "antique mall" is a joke.

You do get the occasional "find" at an estate sale, though.

3. Scott

Scott Active Member

Wow, and I thought NJ was rough. I do see a lot of stuff on ebay lately coming out of Oregon and Washington though for some reason.

4. Bakersgma

Maybe it's because I'm looking for silver and you're looking for glass?

I've also only recently emerged from a long economic funk. I should probably get myself to the next "show" out at the fair grounds.

5. Scott

Scott Active Member

That could be true. I understand, hey maybe that big find is just around the corner! That is the thing about this stuff, you never know when you will come across that big find.

6. Bakersgma

I did actually get a very unexpected 18th century British sterling loving cup, all properly marked, for $8 at a professionally run estate sale a couple years ago. The marks weren't even hard to see! It was all in knowing what they meant - and they must have had an off day in that arena.

In silver alone, it was worth $350+ at scrap (not that I would ever consider doing that.)

7. Scott

Scott Active Member

Wow, great find! That is what keeps us all going.

8. Scott

Scott Active Member

Here is a rare pair of Kralik salt and pepper shakers. This is the only pair I've ever seen and most unusual!

Attached Files:

Leah Goodwin likes this.
  9. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Love the Kralik! Those butterfly ones are pretty nice too!
    Mary

10. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Wow, thanks for sharing all of these, Scott. My favorites are the hand-painted florals... I particularly loved your yellow one with flowers and a butterfly!

I inherited a very small collection of lovely glass shakers, but unfortunately some of the nicest ones were accidentally left behind in a move.

11. Scott

Scott Active Member

Thank you! Wow, that is too bad. Im sure the person who found them did not understand what they really were either. :(
    I want to post more shakers but I think I have to retake many pictures because most were taken with a much better camera that my phone and the upload wont take. It says the file is too big :(

12. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Yup, they probably weren't appreciated by the person who found them. :confused:

Do you have a photo editor? In Photoshop, I can resize my images to a smaller pixel size, a smaller file size, or both. I'd think a lot of editors will let you do that pretty easily.

13. Scott

Scott Active Member

No, I don't. I just take pictures and save them in my computer.

14. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

There's a free editing program, Irfanview, available to download that many people like...

http://www.irfanview.com

I have the program but haven't used it in a long time, so although I think it would probably let you resize images, I can't swear to it.

15. Scott

Scott Active Member

Thanks, I will look into it.

16. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

You're welcome. :)

And I hope you do post more shakers when you can... love seeing them!

17. Scott

Scott Active Member

Oh, I certainly will. I have lots here to post. Possibly later, later on this week heading to West Virginia later this week to the Akro Agate convention and the WV Museum of American glass for my once a year visit. Getting some pics taken there of some on my sugar shakers for a cover shot of a future article Im doing!

18. Scott

Scott Active Member

Here are a few sugar shakers in a group

Attached Files:

19. Scott

Scott Active Member

Here are two figural Owl shakers which are somewhat hard to come by. Both in milk glass. The taller one was produced by Atterbury & Co Pittsburgh, Pa. The Owl Head my have been produced by Challinor, Taylor Co.

Attached Files:

20. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

The owls are cute... and I love the pink one in the first photo.

Draft saved Draft deleted