Featured Victorian Sideboard Info

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Eric Newman, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Eric Newman

Eric Newman New Member

Hi All,
    I posted here for the first time about 3 weeks ago. A display cabinet. Very enjoyable listening to your comments. Still searching to see what I can find on it. Will post back if I find any new info. Anyway, have been checking here almost every night, you have peaked my interest in antique furniture. I bought a sideboard this last weekend, estate sale. It was in pretty rough shape, almost gray on one side from sitting in front of a french door. One door completely off, broken hinges. Pieces missing from the carving work on the middle door, luckily they had saved them all. They were in one of the side drawers. Have been working on this all week, in the evenings. Original construction, as well as repairs is with square nails. There are steel slot head screws holding what looks to be hand shaped door pivots. Not looking too bad now. I have been searching, cant find much of anything like it. Closest I can find have glass side doors. Restoring it has been fun, but we have no room for it. We have decided to sell it. Does anyone have an estimated value? What should I start at?

Thanks,
    Eric 20180702_210611.jpg 20180702_211225.jpg 20180702_211237.jpg 20180702_211310.jpg 20180702_211325.jpg 20180702_211343.jpg 20180702_211750.jpg 20180702_210611.jpg

2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

You are probably missing a top. Wood looks like it could be elm which would likely point to Europe in origin (though the refinished pics look a bit like rosewood). I am thinking French. Closest I could find is this much more elaborate sideboard by Alexander Roux (French/American working in the French style in NYC)

[​IMG]

Value will depend on where you are and how you intend to sell.

3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

You didn't list what the dimensions are, but it looks like you've done a nice job bringing a piece back to life!!!! Job well done!!! As @verybrad said, so much depends on how you want to sell it and where you are located. Sorry I can't help more.....

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It looks like a rosewood veneer to me too. Nice job! As for prices, these days Victorian wood doesn't sell for what it did or what it ought to.

5. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted