Featured Victorian water lilies

Discussion in 'Art' started by Potteryplease, Feb 25, 2024.

1. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

This large horizontal painting was only $26 at an estate sale. There was other art there, some of which seemed like someone had painted onto / over an existing painting. Duh.

Do you think someone 'touched up' the lilies and the blue water on this?

IMG_9036.jpeg IMG_9037.jpeg

The back shows several repairs and looks way old. I think this size and scene was a fairly common Victorian era thing?

IMG_9038.jpeg

IMG_9039.jpeg

IMG_9040.jpeg

One last reason I ask y'all. There's a shiny-ish varnish over the whole painting, and as far as I can see, it's consistent-- as in, no one painted on top of that. I tried to capture that in these last images showing the glare from a side angle.

IMG_9041.jpeg

IMG_9042.jpeg

Thank you for all comments!

Andy

Image: 11" x 40"
    With frame 18" x 47"

Last edited: Feb 25, 2024
  2. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

i actually like the painting, but not sure how authentic it is for age, theres a few things that look suspect, like the philip head screws and the label, but suppose the screws could be a later repair thing

wait for others ;)

johnnycb09 and Potteryplease like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I do. Amateur 'restorer', probably just for their own pleasure. Not as bad as the infamous Spanish Jesus though.:D

aaroncab, mirana, johnnycb09 and 2 others like this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I like it as well, but don't have any doubts it's an amateur effort. There could easily be over painting on the lower portion; it's so bright compared to the rest. Love the frame as well, which I imagine is original. Idle guess is c1900 for a date.

Sitting here thinking it would be nice to see the painting and frame restored, but certain you would never come close to getting your money back on the cost.

5. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Definitely looks over-painted. They probably painted on top of the old varnish and then varnished it again after their painting.

Any Jewelry and Potteryplease like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted