Featured Victorian wreath brooch

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, Jan 4, 2021.

1. TraceyB

TraceyB Well-Known Member

I love it!!!! I promise I won't tell anyone. My lips are sealed :lock:

2. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Let’s hope it doesn’t fall apart tomorrow.....:nailbiting:

3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It ought to be fine, if you rinsed it thoroughly.

4. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I did although you have now made me doubt myself so I’ll go and do it again:rolleyes:

5. Ownedbybear

Can't hurt!

Bronwen, KSW and i need help like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Wow, great job, K!:happy:
    And those pin tabs are still in place?:jawdrop: Amazing glue!:happy:

7. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Yes, still firm.
    I figured I could glue those back on if they gave up!.

8. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

F710C323-14DE-4C41-942E-2E380D887A0A.jpeg

Jaw dropping difference! :woot:

9. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I hadn’t compared the pictures side by side. Even I’m surprised!

10. Ownedbybear

Old glues are often way more resistant than new. Vinegar is an acid, but not a strong one, and bleach isn't a solvent.

11. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Never, ever use bleach on ceramics, it can - over time - turn the clay into powder. You have already done it so let me try and find what you need to do to counteract some of the effects. I think maybe a soak in vinegar will do it but I have to dig into my files and the internet to find out.

Stay tuned, I'll see what I can find...

EDIT: I'm back, I found this on one web site:
    Chlorine bleach is not recommended for porous ceramics because of the possibility of the absorption of the chlorine into the ceramic body, causing salt crystals to form under the glaze or in any cracks.

I found this in my records:
    I have stopped the corrosive action of bleach by soaking the item in vinegar water for several weeks. I use 1/2 white vinegar and 1/2 water which will neutralize the chlorine. This is followed by soaking in plain water for a week then allow to dry completely. If you still smell bleach or the "fuzzies" reappear, repeat the process.

I remember years ago reading a thread on the ebay PGP board about this. A boardie started a thread because she had cleaned a ceramic vase by soaking in bleach. A few day later she started seeing a fine web of white crystals appear in the crazing. She washed it off with soap and water but it kept coming back.

That's where I found out never to wash ceramics in bleach.

Years alter I was selling at the flea market, a lady was next to me, she had little clear bottles filled with colored sea glass and ceramics. She said she washes everything in bleach before putting it in the bottles. She said it is a good thing because she noticed white mold growing on the ceramics after. I told her it wasn't mold, it was the bleach that was the problem.

Please @KSW please soak in vinegar/water as stated above to neutralize the chlorine so you won't have any damage!!!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  12. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Will do! :)

bercrystal and TraceyB like this.
  13. Marie Forjan

Great! The alternative to chlorine bleach is hydrogen peroxide. It's a process and you have to use the strong stuff that hairdressers use, not the topical one. It involves soaking, washing the piece, putting it in a slow oven and washing again. Must wear gloves!

I'm sure the directions are out there on the web for you if you need it or I can look up if I have it in my records :)

bercrystal, TraceyB and KSW like this.
  14. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thankyou for helping :), I knew I’d be in trouble :nailbiting::hilarious:. It’s in vinegar now. Realistically it was unusable as it was so at least it now has a chance to be beautiful again as long as I haven’t destroyed it. I’ll update you on the patients recovery!

Any Jewelry, bercrystal and TraceyB like this.
  15. Marie Forjan

Draft saved Draft deleted