Victory in My Hands,

Discussion in 'Books' started by mmarco102, May 25, 2024.

1. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

Picked this book up yesterday for 1.99:), wow, what ever happened to .50 books.:hilarious: After finding it on Abe books I was amaze what it was selling for, even newer ones. “Victory in my Hands, by Harold Russell.
    https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?kn=Victory in my hands, Harold Russell&sts=t&cm_sp=SearchF-_-topnav-_-Results&ds=20
    Only this book was printed in Copenhagen, Denmark…:woot: dag-nab-it, if only I knew someone that could read Danish. :p @Any Jewelry ;) Well that aside it appears first editions were in 1949 and I believe my book was published in 1950, which might make it a first in Europe. But The Roman numerals read MCMIL(which is not a date) 1950 would be MCML. WHERE AM I going wrong? MCMLI is 1951 but that’s not what’s printed.

‘Not sure why I bought a book I can not read. Duh! :wacky:

Anyway, thank you for looking.
    IMG_3772.jpeg IMG_3773.jpeg IMG_3774.jpeg IMG_3775.jpeg IMG_3777.jpeg

Last edited: May 25, 2024
    Figtree3 and Ex Libris like this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I think the Roman numerals are a date.

M (100O) CM (900) IL (49)

3. Ex Libris

Ex Libris Well-Known Member

I have hundreds of books in my collection I cannot read.
    You get used to it .

IMG_8591.jpeg

Figtree3 and mmarco102 like this.
  4. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

I'm heeding Libris' 'tough love' advice too ! I've purchased tons of old horse s***-damned if I know why ?

mmarco102 and Ex Libris like this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I still go on the theory that "if it looks interesting, it's valuable at least to me." I'm a puzzle junkie .

1949 yup. Thank you 6th grade math! If a smaller letter is in front of a larger letter, subtract the smaller one, so IL is 49.

6. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

I agree Evely-"I still go on the theory that "if it looks interesting, it's valuable at least to me." -it's the blasted mystery that always hooks me.

mmarco102 and Marote like this.
  7. mmarco102

‘that would make sense, except they must count Roman numerals different in Denmark.

guessing the Romans skipped 6th grade…:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

IMG_3780.jpeg

moreotherstuff likes this.
  8. mmarco102

Btw: 1949 would make this a first edition. Woohoooo! :)

Figtree3 likes this.
  9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

There does seem to be flexibility in how the numerals are written. Without being able to cite specific examples, I can say that I have encountered variations in their usage. It's the same with Latin itself: usage changes over time, and it's not unusual for there to be periods when "purification" is espoused.

Look at the spacing of the numerals. It's not MCMIL, it's M_CM_IL.

Figtree3, Ex Libris and mmarco102 like this.
  10. Ex Libris

Ex Libris Well-Known Member

This way of writing was a bit of a head scratcher, when I first saw it (1827).

IMG_8120.jpeg

11. mmarco102

indeed, now that make perfectly good sense. I thought the spacing was awkward at best but it’s blatantly obvious now. 1000 900 49

thanks

Figtree3 and moreotherstuff like this.
  12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Here's an opportunity to learn a little Danish! You could buy a copy in a language that you read very well... then compare, and also buy a dictionary that compares the two languages. A fun project for 2024!

mmarco102 likes this.
  13. mmarco102

Great idea, but at sixty six, it would be easier to say I did that, then to actually do that. ;) Ved at bruge en oversættelsesapp får jeg mere tid til at nyde et glas vin, mens jeg læser alt det vidunderlige indlæg her. :cool:

Figtree3 likes this.
  14. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I used a translation app to understand this. :) Enjoy!

mmarco102 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted