Featured Viking Hoard

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by daveydempsey, Dec 18, 2021.

1. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

2. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

Amazing. All the stories that pop up of people with metal detectors finding such beautiful ancient relics over there across the pond.

3. NewEngland

NewEngland Well-Known Member

Do you have a metal detector, Davey? I loved the series "The Detectorists" on Amazon. If anyone hasn't seen it, I highly recommend it.

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's wild that the little Roman jar is still intact after all these centuries. It'll be pride of place in a museum exhibit.

kyratango, Ghopper1924, dude and 4 others like this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

You'd be amazed how often they show up entire.

6. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Such beauties!

kyratango and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  7. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

@daveydempsey doesn't need to go tramping around a field with a metal detector to find his treasures. Clients pay him to haul the stuff away. ;):playful::playful: :rolleyes::rolleyes: :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

8. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Very true! Nice position to be in

Last edited: Dec 18, 2021
  9. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I want to go and see it. Added to my list. Thank you Davey

daveydempsey likes this.
  10. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

why ? don't you have any metal detectors over there ?:rolleyes:

ola402 likes this.
  11. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

"The hoard was found by Derek McLennan, a retired businessman, who was out with his metal detector on church-owned land in Kirkcudbrightshire, southwestern Scotland"
    Interesting find, wonders who got the money, the article says museum had 6 months to raise 2 million GBP or lose the collection to the private market but never says who benefitted. Guesses Derek & the church?

12. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Yes I have a detector but I've not used it for over 25 years, I might start up again when I retire.
    The finder and the land owner will share the spoils, tax free.

13. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

That Jar is breathtaking!! Wouldn't mind having that on the dresser, but it would scare me every day that I might damage it. This makes you wonder what happened to the folks who buried this treasure trove that they never came back for it.

Yes, but newer country, nothing so astonishing to find here. Although my DH says that a bunch of coins and other money was buried on his grandparents property in Jackson, Ohio (they didn't trust banks). He doesn't know if that's really true, but his family doesn't own the property any longer. His family was far from wealthy so they think if it was $200, that would be about right.

14. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The money depends on the deal with the landowner. Typically, it's a 50/50 split. As davey says, tax free.

kyratango, bercrystal and Boland like this.
  15. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Around here all you'd find would be rusty nails and bottlecaps, and scrap metal is worth about 10 cents/pound. I'd imagine that's all most detectorists even in the UK turn up.

kyratango likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted