Featured Vintage/Antique Mystery Tools

Discussion in 'Tools' started by morgen94, Mar 19, 2023.

1. morgen94

morgen94 Well-Known Member

Several years ago an elderly friend gave me about six tools and asked me to find out what they were for. He later said he didn't want them back and has since died, so I would like to donate them to the White Elephant Sale in the community in which I live, but I know they will ask me what they are for. I was able to find that the one here

upload_2023-3-19_10-32-8.png

is a (car?) battery terminal spreader and cleaner (really!), so I am thinking the last two unidentified items are mechanics tools, too. So, is this brass telescoping one a tire gauge? It comes apart and seems to be missing a couple of sizes. It is 10" long when it is put together and the only marks I found are the sizes of each part:

upload_2023-3-19_10-35-43.png upload_2023-3-19_10-37-36.png

The last unidentified tool seems to be a metal crimper, or something. It is 8.5" long and has a flat fluted head, with what seems to be a piece on one side of the head, that seems to be a stand of some sort. I posted net to it the name stamped on one handle, but half the name is not visible. Is it "...ORHE *& CO" or "...ORNE & CO" or ????.

upload_2023-3-19_10-43-8.png upload_2023-3-19_10-45-2.png

upload_2023-3-19_10-48-9.png Thank you for any help! Lynne

Attached Files:

2. morgen94

Argh I can't easily change the size of the last photo, so here is an enlarged photo...
    upload_2023-3-19_10-53-34.png

komokwa likes this.
  3. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

The brass tubular tool is a cork borer. A set of cork boring tools of varying diameters.

KSW, Gus Tuason, kyratango and 5 others like this.
  4. morgen94

Thank you so much for the speedy reply! I will now read about cork borers, to learn what they do...well, besides bore corks. So, I gather this is not a mechanic's tool?

5. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Nope, not a mechanic's tool. Without looking, I'd think apothecary/scientific.

KSW, wlwhittier, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  6. morgen94

Aha! That explains why there is a small rubber stopper among the tools. Thank you!

KSW, pearlsnblume and sabre123 like this.
  7. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

leather/canvas upholstery stretching pliers

Last edited: Mar 19, 2023
    KSW, kyratango, komokwa and 4 others like this.
  8. morgen94

OMG...I have been looking for IDs on these tools for so many years and within an hour, you all have given that to me! Thank you SO much.

Oh, and now I see the leather stretcher is probably stamped (C.S.?) OSBORNE & CO.

This is the best resource for information on just about everything...really!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2023
    KSW, sabre123, kyratango and 5 others like this.
  9. lptools

lptools Member

The manufacture's mark is most likely Osborne ,or, C S Osborne.

morgen94 and sabre123 like this.
  10. morgen94

Thank you, yes, and as you can see in my prior post, I discovered that you are correct and the manufacturer was, indeed, C.S. Osborne. I am now working on one last tool and as soon as I figure out why my printer/scanner won't scan above 300dpi, I will scan this last (sterling) item and ask for help here for that, too.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted