Vintage Asian Vase Japanese? or Chinese?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Alesia42, May 5, 2024.

1. Alesia42

Alesia42 Active Member

Hi!....This was a Thrift purchase a while ago....for only a couple of dollars....it what I call banana yellow color approx. 6in ht x 3.5 n with...its in good condition...but...when I was washing it,,,I had on gloves and the water got hot....then crackles appeared??....I thought it was strange because I hadnt noticed them before...so I sat it down to dry...and a hour later or so....they were gone?...may be the pottery expanding due to the hot water...then cooled??....Im not sure.....but I made a mental note...to make sure to use warm water only...smh...but getting back....the Vase at first glance look to be Japanese....but if anyone knows whether its Japanese? ...Chinese?......age new? or vintage?.....please share your thoughts.....Thank you much! rsz_20240504_224850.jpg rsz_20240504_225434.jpg rsz_20240504_225616.jpg rsz_20240504_224959.jpg rsz_20240504_224944.jpg rsz_20240504_225418.jpg

Chinoiserie likes this.
  2. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about the crackling when hot. That's unusual.

As for the vase, it looks thick-- a bit 'clunky.' The ones I see seem to be thinner and more delicate looking.

Chinoiserie likes this.
  3. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

Maybe the water soaked into the ceramic via the cracks and changed its shade temporarily? When it dried it became a uniform shade again.

It definitely has a Japanese influence.

wlwhittier likes this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I would guess the glaze is crazed. That's when there are cracks in the glaze, but not in the underlying ceramic. Crazing can be difficult to see, but should show up in strong light with a critical examination. Crazing will give liquids access to the ceramic, and if it is at all porous, the lines will appear when water is absorbed and disappear when it evaporates. With time, crazing will become increasingly apparent as impurities in whatever the liquid is don't evaporate; but simply remain behind and accumulate. Heat causes expansion, which makes it even easier for a liquid to get through.

Chinoiserie, wlwhittier and Houseful like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted