Featured Vintage Chrome-Sided Table?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by MacMorrighan, Aug 14, 2017.

1. MacMorrighan

MacMorrighan Active Member

Hey guys! I am starting the baby steps for a cookbook that I want to write, which is part memoire. Now, back when I was in college in my first apartment, it was a VERY dated efficiency apartment. This was before computers were as common and the local cable co., wouldn't allow me to have even the basic channels without subscribing to a full package, which I couldn't afford; so, being such a tiny space with nothing to entertain myself, it was extremely depressing during the winter months as I didn't drive!

But, I adored the vintage details of my little apartment! One of these details was a vintage yellow table with a chrome band somewhat similar to the table pictured below. I would like to know more about it and what the top of this table may have been made of. IIRC, the tabletop had an unusual texture; almost vinyl-like. In fact, one day after buying some perfectly ripe bananas one evening, the next morning I left for my voice lesson, but when I returned that afternoon, there was a puddle of banana juice puddled around the bananas! I have never encountered this phenomena before, but I wonder if the material of the table may have had something to do with it. I just found the below pic. on-line since I didn't own a camera during the mid-90s in order to take pix. of my little place...

6aeb381d3ec056315b218741e395e859--yellow-table-yellow-chairs.jpg

2. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

Aaaaah, this brings back memories. I had a very similar kitchen set in pink and black when first married in 1957.
    I can't imagine what the top of your table would have been, as described maybe a textured leatherette, but I don't know what effect that would have in expediting the ripening of bananas.
    The table top in the photo you have supplied is arborite or formica I believe.

3. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

As far as I know, they are called Formica tables.
    Google Images: Vintage Formica Table

P.S. The "texture" is just an optical illusion due to the pattern. The table tops are smooth. My mom had a red set identical to this that was used for decades. It was bought approx. 1958 when she got married.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I've read that products containing ethylene can hasten the ripening of fruit. I don't know if that kind of table top has ethylene in it, but maybe?

5. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

I remember those kitchen sets and I WANT that yellow set above, love it !! . Joy.

6. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Actually that set only in red with silver band YESSS !! :)

7. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

8. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Had a few. :)

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

In good shape and in the right market, those sets are now worth more than the rest of the contents of your old apartment.(LOL) I love those sets too. The formica tops sometimes had wooden bases too, early on. I found one in the local ReStore with pink and green boomerangs on top with wood legs. It sold pretty quickly.

11. buyingtime777

buyingtime777 Well-Known Member

I have a full set of late 40's Youngstown cabinets in my kitchen that were installed new. The original counter tops are also there. I believe them to be Formica although the Formica seems to have a bit of a different feel then modern Formica. I imagine they are the same material as in those tabletops. Love those tables BTW.

12. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

Back in the late 1980's I had a black/grey/red set with 4 chairs, each chair had a diamond, heart, club or spade cut out in the backrest. As I recall, sold it in the $200. price range, a fair price then, wish I had it today.

13. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I always hated the green that I used to see a lot of!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hungover::hungover:

14. Tauriels

Tauriels Well-Known Member

Oh My, This was our table when I was a kid! I know I have a picture somewhere of us at that table :)

15. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Bananas actually give off ethylene, which is why you ought never to store them next to other fruit. Ethylene is used to ripen the unripe, so a banana can also be useful for that. It's feasible that the table had low levels of emitting ethylene:plastics are, after all, composed of carbon/hydrogen chains, which when they degrade, give off organic gases. I think Formica has ethylene glycol in it, from (very old) memory.

Figtree3 and KingofThings like this.
  16. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

What you said.....
    ;)

17. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I still remember my organic chemistry. ;)

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted