Vintage dinner plate

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by JP Canada, May 11, 2021.

1. JP Canada

JP Canada Member

I am hoping for help to identify this vintage dinner plate. There is no mark on the back. My grandparents believe it came from Holland, but this had never been confirmed. Thank you

Attached Files:

2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Pics are a bit small, but the style is of Japanese Imari ware from around 1900

Bakersgma and John Brassey like this.
  3. JP Canada

JP Canada Member

I hope this pic is better - Imari ware had been suggested by a dealer as well, however he felt that the fruit and flower design was not typical. I hope this pic is better.

Attached Files:

4. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Yes that does help. It is Japanese Imari ware and the design and colours are very typical of production around 1890-1920.

Bakersgma likes this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

6. JP Canada

JP Canada Member

Thank you!! That is so helpful! Would you have any sense of the value. I am not interested in selling; however, I do hope to have any of significant value properly stored and insured.

7. JP Canada

JP Canada Member

Would you happen to know anything about this Noritake plate?

Attached Files:

8. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

They don't fetch a lot as there are plenty still around and they were made for export, so there isn't a lot of interest in the home market for them. There are some very fine examples which can do well, but more basic designs are around the price of a good meal out in the UK.

9. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

You might look at completed ebay auctions for some price ranges. If you add Meiji to Imari it might narrow down the results a bit.

10. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

It is Noritake and from the inter-war period, looks to have survived much better than most as the gilt is very soft on Noritake and tends to be rubbed. I've not had a plate like that before, but again most Noritake has a fairly modest value. Checking sold items on ebay should get you an idea of what they fetch.

11. JP Canada

JP Canada Member

Thank you again! This is very helpful!

12. JP Canada

JP Canada Member

Thanks!!

Draft saved Draft deleted