Vintage dresser

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Brett Alyea, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Brett Alyea

Brett Alyea Member

Hi guys and gals. Hoping to learn more about this dresser. I looked up the manufacturer's info but couldn't find too much on it. Plan is to refurbish it with Restor A Finish and 0000 steel wool. I'm open to advice as this is my first attempt to restore a piece of old furniture. 20190122_211534-1024x768.jpg 20190122_211523-1024x768.jpg 20190129_145829-1024x768.jpg 20190129_145948-1024x768.jpg

Christmasjoy and pearlsnblume like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Nice dresser! And I bet most of us here are happy to see your plan to spruce it up and NOT PAINT it! :singing:

I'm sure that @verybrad will have advice.

Ghopper1924, Figtree3, judy and 5 others like this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Restor - A - Finish is a good product and easy to use. I'd follow it up with their Feed and Wax.
    For a novice it's a good start.

Brad deals in furniture and refinishes a lot. He will have good advice from that angle.

4. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Sounds like a plan! Not sure about steel wool though, i notice many who do a lot of refinishing have switched over to synthetic scrubby thingys because with water based top coats which are popular now, steel wool will rust.
    Wait for @verybrad , he will know.

5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

As noted, Restor-a-finish is a good product and easy to use. It proves a quick method for sprucing but will not make it look like new. No problem with using steel wool, as it is not water based. The ring on top is problematic. The Restor-a-finish will make it look better but will not make it go away. The top really needs to be stripped and refinished properly to have it look its best.

A quick trick without refinishing is to even out and thin the existing finish with lacquer thinner. This basically redistributes the finish that is there, giving a more uniform surface. This is a tricky process that is easy to make a mess of if you don't know what you are doing.

Would probably suggest that you try the Restor-a-finish first and see if you are happy with the results on the top. If not, you can always move to plan B.

6. clutteredcloset49

judy, James Conrad and i need help like this.
  7. Brett Alyea

Brett Alyea Member

Thanks guys. Any insight into the company or year it was made? This is all I could find online.

In 1904, the Quinlans founded the Unagusta Manufacturing Company, which by 1916 was the largest furniture factory in western North Carolina. ... Prevost and his four sons reorganized the furniture company and operated it successfully until it was sold to the Welbilt Conlpany of New York in the 1960s.

8. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Looks like 1930s to me...maybe 40s.

Any Jewelry, judy and i need help like this.
  9. James Conrad

Yes, i have seen these as well, 3M stripping pads which are a green color but, 3M also has developed Synthetic Steel Wool now and i see it in the big box hardware stores.
    https://www.amazon.com/3M-10119NA-Synthetic-Steel-Wool/dp/B00004Z4AE

3m-steel-wool-10120-64_1000.jpg

10. James Conrad

Naturally, I have no idea if it works as well as the real steel wool. Reason i mention it is because i saw my restorer using them & asked why & according to him, real steel wool dust can be a pain if you miss any of it and are applying water based stains/top coats.

11. clutteredcloset49

12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Hnh. Difference in approaches between here and there. All I'd do is wax the top.

13. James Conrad

Many here in the states are into it as a hobby, staining, refinishing, shabby chic thingy, milk paint i think was big a few years ago.
    Not to mention a whole industry here that does it for guys like me who are to lazy to deal with all that! :joyful:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  14. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

To me, it ends up far too often looking "new". A toffee apple finish.

15. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    i used to use 0000 steel wool for scrubbing off finishes. Before I put the first coat of finish I always went over it with a really strong magnet. I always picked up micro sized pieces of steel wool.:eek:
    greg

16. verybrad

Agree that refinished pieces often look too new. Howard's is an oil based product that goes on pretty thin. Multiple coats will eventually get a bit glossy. Excess gloss on any finish can be remedied with a final going over with steel wool and I always paste wax my antiques after.

judy, i need help and Bakersgma like this.
  17. Brett Alyea

Brett Alyea Member

So I know that some people dont like painting these older pieces, but it would probably fit into our home a lot better if it was. What are your thoughts on painting? Maybe leaving the top with a wood finish but painting the rest.

i need help and judy like this.
  18. James Conrad

As one of the few here who advocates for painting, I say PAINT AWAY! it's not permanent, can be removed later if you wish and paint done correctly can be gorgeous, PAINT IT! :singing:
    Gets my 2 cents in before the anti paint crowd arrives in force! :hilarious:

i need help and judy like this.
  19. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

"As one of the few here who advocates for painting, I say PAINT AWAY! it's not permanent, can be removed later if you wish and paint done correctly can be gorgeous, PAINT IT! :singing:
    Gets my 2 cents in before the anti paint crowd arrives in force! :hilarious:"

GET HIM!!!!!!!

20. verybrad

Yes and no. Having stripped a lot of paint over the years, I have found that if the surface under the paint is not well finished beforehand, it is nearly impossible to get the paint out completely. Also, this day and age, it really is not cost effective to strip paint. Whether or not we will ever get back to a time where it is, remains to be seen. Consequently, I could see massive amounts of painted furniture heading to the dump once it goes out of fashion.

I advocate painting furniture that is sub-standard in construction or condition. Not sure that this piece qualifies as either. That said, painting this would not be the worst thing to have happen. While this appears to be a nice solid well-built piece, It is a long way from being a desirable antique.

Draft saved Draft deleted