Featured Vintage Drexel Heritage Dining Chairs

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by BevK, Aug 5, 2018.

1. BevK

BevK New Member

Hey everyone,
    I picked up these Drexel Heritage dining chairs a few days ago and am trying to find out more information on them but having no luck.
    There are no stamps but paperwork staples to the bottom.
    Would love some help on the line they came from, year and type of wood. I’m thinking they are mahogany but unsure. Also what the original fabric may have been since they obviously look like they were recovered at some point.
    Thank you for your help FED7C4B9-C744-48EC-9081-9F8901C1E3A0.jpeg

2. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Welcome to Antiqurs BevK!

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum BevK. Here is your chair full image. The furniture people will need to see more pics.
    [​IMG]

4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Not entirely clear when Drexel became Drexel Heritage. They bought the Heritage Furniture Company in 1951 so I doubt they used the name before then. This link seems to indicate 1968:

"In 1968 U.S. Plywood-Champion Papers bought Drexel Enterprises. As a subsidiary of Champion, the company became Drexel Heritage Furnishings, Inc"

https://www.ncpedia.org/drexel-furniture-company

Just from appearance of your chair, I would think more toward the earlier date rather than the later.

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

And the upholstery looks to be from the 1980s when this type of thing (MacKenzie-Childs 'Argyle' canister) was being designed.

Debora

FORUM MacKenzie-Childs.jpg

6. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Although the identification of these chairs seems to be pretty far along and accurate, always helpful to show photos of any marks or pieces of identification, in this case the stapled paperwork.
    I agree with the dating mentioned above as to post-1968 at a minimum.

Drexel produced extremely well made furniture. Under normal wear, these chairs will last a life time.

Edit: One last thought, is there any chance the wood on these has been repainted? Maybe just the photo, but looks a bit unusual for that era.

Any Jewelry, judy and i need help like this.
  7. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  8. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Off thread but since no one is posting lately, let's talk about late chippendale
    (1780-1800) a bit. There is a period side table coming to market next week that i think is probably RI, goddard/townsend school and a nice example. Notice the stop-bead fluting on the square legs, kind of a point/counterpoint & a nod to the earlier rococo style with small carved shells on the apron.

633.jpg

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted