Vintage fur coat by J.R Van Der Ley & Zn

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Annlemy, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Annlemy

Annlemy Member

0437B47B-2723-4FF5-AD18-6F8C47EDA035.png

Good day all :).

I found this fur coat at the shop near by my house and I don’t know what kind of fur it is. Can anyone please tell me?

It is made by J.R Van Der Ley & Zn from Hilversum, Netherlands. I find it beautiful and wanted to turn it to the carpet for my bedroom but I think I should ask first before cut it to pieces :). I also couldn’t find any information about J.R Van der Ley, it seems they disappeared from the market. The only information I have is that there is one coat comes from them, won by the Queen Juliana of Netherlands and it is now displayed in the museum.

Thank you very much!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    judy likes this.
  2. Annlemy

Annlemy Member

78B6C572-D436-4DD1-9389-D25E1A6CFCD8.jpeg

This is a close up of the fur coat.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

The fur seems to be mink paw. I don't see a full shot of the upper section of the collar, but it may be mink pelt.

4. Annlemy

Annlemy Member

2F1FFA97-D1E1-4309-829C-49D2978589A0.png

Hi Sandra, thank you very much for the answer:). This is the full short of the collar and I just quickly take a look on google for pictures of mink paw and it seems you are right :). Have a nice day!

judy, kyratango, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  5. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

Where are my manners! Welcome to the site Annlemy, love your kittie.
    And yes, the upper collar seems to be mink pelt.

judy, kyratango, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I think a throw rather than a rug.

Debora

romantische-schlafzimmer-landhausstil-chaler-naturstein-kamin-fell-bettdecke.jpg

7. Annlemy

Annlemy Member

Hahha love your answer :). And I love my cats too. She is no more a kittie and I miss that little face so much. Nowadays she acts like Ms Grumpy .

Cheers,
    Ann

i need help, judy, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  8. Annlemy

Annlemy Member

Yeah I thought about it too. The size of the coat is quite big and I even think it’s big enough to make a blanket .

Thanks for stopping by my thread Debora .

9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome Ann.
    I'm with Sandra, mink paw with a collar of mink pelt. If you make a carpet out of it, it'll be worn within a few years.:arghh:
    Just about all fur dealers have, here in the Netherlands.
    It even looks like the kind of fur coat queen Juliana would wear:

[​IMG]

The Dutch queens generally wore, and still wear, Dutch-made fashion, often very locally made. Hilversum is only a few km from Soestdijk, where Juliana lived.
    Juliana and her mother queen Wilhelmina loved fur. Here they are in 1936, both looking a bit startled. They were wearing white as a sign of mourning for queen Wilhelmina's husband, who wanted white instead of black for his funeral:

upload_2019-1-3_10-1-52.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  10. Annlemy

Annlemy Member

Thank you very much for all the information, I found one coat from them won by Queen Juliana at Paleis Het Loo.

Oh and i changed my mind. I won’t turn it to the rug anymore, I think I will turn it to a throw (thank to Debora) or a blanket to keep me warm while watching tv , or maybe resize and restyle it.

And I live in the Netherlands too, goedemiddag :).

Cheers,
    Ann

i need help, Sandra and Figtree3 like this.
  11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Welcome to Antiquers, @Annlemy ! The coat will make a beautiful throw.

12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Goedemiddag, Ann, en nogmaals welkom.:)

13. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi and WELCOME to Antiquers, @Annlemy !!!!:):):) So happy you decided on a throw or re-do on the coat!!!! You'll be much happier!!!!

Any Jewelry, Annlemy, Sandra and 2 others like this.
  14. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

Annlemy, if this is going to be a DIY project, please let us know how you achieve a squared or rectangular piece for the throw. I have my mother's full length mink lurking in a cedar chest and have not had the confidence to tackle a project with it.
    Considering that the coat back would flare from the neckline to the hemline, there will be some piecing from the sleeves and front required. If the skins are brittle, it may be a challenge to join the pieces.
    All I know is that it is recommended that the fur is cut from the skin side with a scalpel or razor blade.
    Good Luck with the throw!

kyratango, Annlemy, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  15. Annlemy

Annlemy Member

I can not do it by myself:) as I don’t have any experience nor skill. But my close friend has a tailor workshop and I will ask her for help (mostly it means I will just bring the coat to her and tell her what I want it to be, then i’ll wait for the result , love her soooo much hhihi).

I will show you guys the end result later on :).

Cheers,
    Ann

Draft saved Draft deleted