Featured Vintage glass christmas ornaments

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lucille.b, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Most of these I can id, and aware that some have little not no resale value, so when I pull out the good ones, will donate the rest. They were sold in box lots at an estate sale.

Had a few questions. What do you call the "metal" wiring on the blue ornament in photo one? And is the small green one worth listing by any chance? I think possibly hand-blown, and looks older. (Last photo.) There are three like similar in different colors.

I've already found comparables in the hand-blown teapot style, so will list those.

None have markings on the metal top.

Thanks for taking a look.
    orn2.jpg orn2b.jpg orn3.jpg orn5.jpg

2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Guess it is that time of year to begin thinking about these. :sour:

You do have a few nice ornaments. I was going to say filigree on the wire work but it really is more just a fine mesh applied. Don't know what else to call it. Your last one is old but not necessarily desirable. I usually sell such ornaments in lots.

lloyd249, Lucille.b and KingofThings like this.
  3. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Nice! :)
    Net wrap/wrapper maybe?

Lucille.b and SBSVC like this.
  4. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
  5. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    The silver "pinecone" looking one with the "teapot" looking ones are called kugels. It is an older one from Germany.
    greg

Lucille.b and KingofThings like this.
  6. KingofThings

7. KingofThings

lloyd249 and Lucille.b like this.
  8. TheOLdGuy

TheOLdGuy Well-Known Member

The blue ornament has what, in the old days, was called "wire wrapping," though not usually as symmetrically made and applied.

Your teapots are more popular than most of your collection. Equal to the bells in the second box which may be older. Possibly just the one next to the gold bell. Would need a closer pic to tell.

Not sure if you know the age, but I will give them all an estimate of 1970s to 2000.

Some teapots are shown in "Christmas Collectibles" by Margaret & Ken Whitmyer, page 66. But they are older than yours and have an assigned value of $10 to $12. I will slightly update you. When I lost one of my antique, one inch snow babies, I found a duplicate at an antique show in Storrowtown, Massachusetts. That was 2001. I bargained the seller down - explaining I needed to replace mine - to $190.00. Today's value on that one item is now about $50.00.

I would really appreciate your referring me to the teapots you mentioned. For sale or sold?

Lucille.b likes this.
  9. TheOLdGuy

TheOLdGuy Well-Known Member

Forgot to mention. Most of the antique glass ornaments and Christmas Village pieces were made in Germany. Japan was second, both in quantity and quality.
    Many post WWII boxes will have Germany markings, but I know of no ornaments carrying an ID. The Village pieces, such as Snow Babies, will almost always be marked Germany.

What's interesting on many of the paper-mache or chalk figures will have the five and dime store's price in pencil on the bottom. Mostly 15 to maybe way up to 25 cents.

lloyd249 and Lucille.b like this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

very pretty !!!

lloyd249, Lucille.b and KingofThings like this.
  11. Lucille.b

All very helpful! Thanks so much. :):):)

Was wondering about those bells, one is a bit worn, I'll post a photo.

It was a real spread of ages at this sale. There was a Dresden ornament in a box from the early 1900's (already sold) and a few boxed items from the 50's plus or minus.

I will be listing everything shown here (if worth listing) on Ebay.

KingofThings likes this.
  12. Lucille.b

And yes, Brad. It IS that time of year. First week in Oct, no later in my opinion for selling Ebay Christmas items. The market get saturated soon after. I think people with B&M stores also like to stock up early by buying stock on Ebay, too. Mind boggling, but I've had good luck with first week in Oct. I might even up it to last week of September.

pearlsnblume and KingofThings like this.
  13. msgood2shoe

msgood2shoe Well-Known Member

I disagree with Greg on those being called "kugels". The grape one is in the shape of a kugel, but it does not appear to be made of heavy glass, whereas kugels are made of heavy glass.

I would date them from the late 1950's on, the teapot ones are probably the newest and most likely MIJ. Look at the top of the caps, they might have country of origin

14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

ya...birthday girls are cranky like that......:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

lloyd249 and KingofThings like this.
  15. Lucille.b

Thanks Msgood2shoe. I thought I had looked at all the tops, but my progressive lenses must have failed me. Now noticing very faintly, some are marked. Made in U.S. of A. and U.S.A. and the small clear ones "Japan". Taking a few additional photos now.

KingofThings likes this.
  16. Lucille.b

A few more photos. Of these two fake snow ones, the ornament on the right is marked Germany, the left one although looks to be the same style, unmarked and seems a lower quality. As requested, here are photos of the bells, too. They have a tiny little glass bell inside and actually ring. Any additional info would be helpful. Are either worth listing?

n2.jpg n4.jpg n5.jpg

KingofThings likes this.
  17. Lucille.b

Same sale if you are in a Christmas mood...

The icicles are so cool, almost a keeper. But the thought of untangling each year...

Check out the baby ornaments for the plastic tree. 3 miniature boxes like that, but sadly although the glass is perfect on those miniatures, the coating has worn badly on many. I had to assemble the tree for the photo. Its so delicate, its amazing its all there and in one piece. ic4.jpg ic5.jpg n7.jpg n77.jpg n6.jpg

18. KingofThings

I have a perfect 3' aluminum tree in its box. :)

Lucille.b likes this.
  19. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

OMG - those wire icicles are to die for!
    I love the plastic tree with ornaments too.

Then again, I collect vintage Christmas.

20. msgood2shoe

msgood2shoe Well-Known Member

IMHO, the 2 fake snow ones are both from the same "batch". The shapes are virtually identical. The manufacturers didn't think of these as being "high quality" items like some of today's big name companies do.

That tree is fantastic, as are the tinsel ornaments. While they would require care when putting them away, if kept in the box like they have been, they shouldn't be a big problem .

The silver bell ornie is probably from the 50's and the other one probably dates to late 60's early 70's. There is a certain look to the glitter decor on the ones from the 70's.

The flaking on the miniature ones is fairly common. Probably from storage in an attic.

I collect old and new ornies as well. My tree is always a combo of Radko's, Waterford and other newer ones with old look as well as ornies from the same era as the older ones you have.

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted