Vintage gold and white gold ring

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by nirelj, Feb 2, 2023.

1. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Zircons didn't suddenly appear out of the blue, they were formed over an extremely long period of time, just like other gemstones.

KSW, Dessert58, nirelj and 1 other person like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

If color is native to the stones, olivine, tourmaline & andalusite come to mind.

KSW, nirelj and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. nirelj

nirelj Member

Thank you also for reply, and information about different type of zircons!

I have learned quite a lot here tonight, thank you guys.

If I might ask (please don't mind, I'm new here, and I am not sure if value/price is something that is discussed on this forum), but if its fine to ask, would you be able to put estimated value(roughly), of ring like this?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
    Bronwen likes this.
  4. nirelj

nirelj Member

This is also very interesting idea, didn't think about this possibility.
    I will try to take better pictures tomorrow, but I still think gemstones might be colored actually, because of different colors of them, from green to orange.

KSW, Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  5. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Another vote for a vintage replica ring. The setting is a bit mangled and the filigree looks stamped. Your stones were set deep and are very small and rough cut. Contrary to marketing, not all diamonds are valuable simply from being diamonds. Tiny stones or very included stones are extremely cheap. If you were to sell this to a pawn they would offer you a price based on the value if the gold alone, and not include the stones. It's a common practice, even for larger stones than this.

You can buy a diamond tester in the US for about $25. But it might be easier to take it to a local jeweler to test them. They may charge a fee for the test. I personally, knowing how little small stones (diamond or otherwise) add to jewelry prices on the secondary market, wouldn't pay a fee to test them.

You can weigh your ring and check gold melt price converters for value. Keep in mind a pawn or melt place will take a large cut of that so they make money.

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's a nice looking ring. I would not however sell it on line - too many scammers, especially if you're a newish seller. New seller + precious metal = scammer magnet. The stones could be diamond, zircons, garnets, tourmalines or... as others already said.

IvaPan and Bronwen like this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

some gold buyers offer better prices than others ...

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

you can ask about value.....but who knows??

start with the weight, and the value of the gold...and go up from there, depending on your way of selling.

9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Agree as ever with aj on how gold can "tarnish" - it's the other metals in the mix. I also agree that the design is what matters here. The stones will have little intrinsic value.

10. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Seems a number are conflating poor cut with old cut

This is newer low quality

The metal value will exceed the ring value

The rocks have no value

11. nirelj

nirelj Member

Hello,

Thank you for a comment, and with all due respect, and no hard feelings, but I can't see how metal value would exceed ring value (if not sold as scrap, ofc).
    Even if we say that you are right and that it is very low quality, still someone had put some effort making it, and frankly, it is interesting and nice looking ring, and also have that vintage moment.So, I guess, all that mentioned should add some extra value to it?
    I think that potential buyer, who would like it, would definitely pay more than just metal value (which is around 150-170$).

Also, I would disagree that it is newer (not medieval or very old either),but it looks relatively old.

Best regards!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
    KSW likes this.
  12. nirelj

nirelj Member

Also, I have tried to make some better pictures of jewels on day light, it seems middle one are brown color and outer circle is yellowish/green, and they seem to be cut with "three sides".

Screenshot_2023-02-03-10-20-03-392_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg Screenshot_2023-02-03-10-22-37-965_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg Screenshot_2023-02-03-10-20-33-382_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg Screenshot_2023-02-03-10-21-12-622_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

KSW, Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. nirelj

nirelj Member

Hello, thank you for reply and useful comment!

To be honest, i did think that best option to sell it would be ebay auction, but after you say this, I am a bit worried...

How would these scammers try to scam me, would they just claim that they haven't received item that was advertised (because I am new seller, and don't have enough reputation) or there is some other danger.
    Also, do you think scams like that are happening often, and is there any useful protection from ebay/PayPal for seller in situations like this?

Best regards!

KSW likes this.
  14. Ownedbybear

The reason the stones are "badly" cut - which they aren't - is because this is emulating an older ring. It would look ridiculous with modern stones.

When we say newer, we mean not antique. An antique is defined as a hundred years, and with those marks, yours is no older than mid 20th C. It's a nice thing and certainly worth more than scrap.

IvaPan, KSW, mirana and 1 other person like this.
  15. nirelj

nirelj Member

When it comes to stones, I don't really know much about them, so they might or might not be badly cut from my perspective, but what you said about them makes sense also.

And I understand completely and agree with what you said there about it's age, but in my previous comment I was mostly replying to terry5732's remark that ring is newer and low quality, for me it sounded like it is complete low quality novelty (not even what you said, mid 20th century).

IvaPan and KSW like this.
  16. Ownedbybear

Ah, totally understood. It's a nice repro and not pretending to be a real one either.

IvaPan, KSW and nirelj like this.
  17. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Thanks for confirming what I thought.
    The cut is called 'senaille', which is a pretty word for cut gemstone chips. Those are often chips from larger stones, which receive a simple cut and are used for the look and the bling factor rather than for value.
    Senailles are cut from three facets upward. Some have nine, but they are still purely decorative.
    In short, as the others (and myself) already said, don't worry about the value of the stones, just enjoy them.:)

I can also see a few chipped stones, but that doesn't matter much either. If you ever were to sell it, it is best to mention it to avoid problems.

IvaPan, komokwa, KSW and 3 others like this.
  18. nirelj

nirelj Member

Thank you for new information and advice!

So they are definitely not small diamonds, rather some other stones, beacause diamonds couldn't chip (am I right?).

Any Jewelry likes this.
  19. Dessert58

Dessert58 Well-Known Member

Nirelj, i just saw your ring. Its a nice one, no matter if its newer.
    The stones could be senailles or zirconia, like mentioned before.
    Diamonds do chip actually. All depends on where they get a hit. (It has to do with crystalline structures).

IvaPan, Any Jewelry, KSW and 2 others like this.
  20. Ownedbybear

Yup, one with a fault can shear.

IvaPan, KSW and mirana like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted