Vintage gold and white gold ring

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by nirelj, Feb 2, 2023.

1. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Sure can. These to me look like the cut I associate with marcasites. They were done for "pretty" rather than to be worth money. Made to look more primitive than they actually are.

The old scam starts with Text Me, or I want to pay with Paypal. First, that's not allowed in the USA. Second, it's open season for the scammer to send a faked Paid email, and some of them can look really good. The duped seller then ships but was never actually paid.

Then there's the INR scam - buyer pays, but pretends the item never got there. It doesn't always work and sometimes eBay doesn't screw the seller, but don't count on it. Buyer gets money and item.

Then there's the real baddie - credit card or Paypal chargeback. Those are almost impossible to fight and neither requires the buyer to return anything. The two common excuses are Item Not Received (even if it says Delivered) and Charge Not Recognized. The latter is occasionally a legit chargeback, but yeahwell. Sometimes they'll do a Not as Described chargeback too, even if the item is exactly as advertised. It's next to impossible to fight one of these if you're a seller. The only saving grace is a buyer can't pull one of these too often or they lose buyer protections or even the ability to buy...or so I've heard anyway.

As for protection, officially yes, but in reality you're swinging in the breeze and your underwear is under a bush someplace. It's one reason I quit selling, and stopped selling things made of precious before that. The scammers generally leave costume sellers alone. They main targets are electronics and precious metals.

IvaPan, nirelj and mirana like this.
  2. evelyb30

Oh yeah - they can also file an SNAD (significantly not as described) through eBay. The seller then asks for their merch back and is out shipping both ways. No matter what comes in the package, and it may be a rock or just air, they have to refund and then appeal it to eBay. One guess how that often works out. The scammer can also mail a package using their own label to an address in the same zip code. It scans as Delivered and the seller has to refund even though they got nothing at all.

You get the idea.

IvaPan, komokwa, nirelj and 1 other person like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Absolutely.:)

IvaPan and Bronwen like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

and if you're new...they'll hit u harder ....figuring you'll give up at some point..

IvaPan likes this.
  5. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

10 grams total weight
    P1920042.JPG P1920043.JPG
    Real diamonds. Yellow and white gold. I'd be happy to get three hundred for it. Worst cut diamonds you ever saw. The rocks have no melt value.
    P1920044.JPG

6. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

evelyb30, and komo, I just want to thank you for sharing you experience with eBay., especially you, evelyb30! I personally don't sell (and honestly, don't even think of doing it after I read your posts!) but think that it is very generous of you to warn the new sellers of those possible traps. Thank you again and respect!

komokwa, nirelj, Ownedbybear and 2 others like this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I fail to see what overpriced J C Penney jewellery has to do with an honest replica of a mediaevel ring, wherein the maker has taken the trouble to use stones of a type that would be right for period.

8. evelyb30

The JC Penney bits I'd be tempted to melt and get them out of everyone's hair.

Draft saved Draft deleted