Featured Vintage Gold "made in Germany" pin with pearls

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by janettekay, Aug 6, 2021.

1. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

Hi all..Mom's jewelry box continued....
    1 1/4 inch gold and pearl pin. Marked made in Germany. Wavy shape. Open work gold. (is there a name for that?)
    Surprised no karat designation..is that unusual?

Any help with age, maker etc. will be much appreciated as usual !!!. Gold German pin front.JPG gold german pin side.JPG gold german pin back.JPG

2. MmePlantier

MmePlantier Active Member

This brooch looks like it was made in the style of Friedrich Binder, such as this one and this one.

Edit : In general, one will find many similar pieces - mostly from the 1960s - looking up brutalist/modernist brooches (1 2 3).

Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
    KSW, pearlsnblume, janettekay and 3 others like this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I've got one like that! I wonder where the house has hidden it.

judy, bercrystal, KSW and 4 others like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

If you want to sell it, please don't mention Friedrich Binder. Binder pieces are always marked as such, either FB or FBM (M for Mönsheim, where they are located).
    The style is pretty general 1960s, not specific Binder, so it isn't meant to copy Binder Modernist brooches either.
    Friedrich Binder has been making good quality fashionable chains, jewellery and jewellery findings since 1847. The name sells, but they were never trend setters, so there was no incentive to copy them.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
    judy, KSW, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  5. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Does your house do this too? Mine is so naughty, it employs house elves to move things that I have carefully stored so that I can’t find them. It’s favourite trick is to vanish something that I’ve just sold to instil panic and cursing.

6. Ownedbybear

I think I have Borrowers.

7. janettekay

Thanks..I was not thinking of using Binder name as I really try to be accurate.
    I will mention 1960s. Germany and gold (though I have no idea of karat ) And not even sure if pearls are real..though they look it.
    Should I use term Modernist? And what category do you suggest? Thanks janette

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Only if the Borrowers have four furry feet and a fuzzy tail and meow when they want something.

judy, Ownedbybear and bercrystal like this.
  9. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Do the tooth test on the pearls Janette, it’s very reliable. If they feel slightly gritty rubbed on your teeth they are real.

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  10. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Ooh, sounds painful!

judy likes this.
  11. Ownedbybear

The Borrowers' great enemy was cats!

judy likes this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Yes, Modernist is perfect. Also Germany, of course.
    I don't sell on ebay, so I don't know their categories, but I'm sure the others have some ideas. Good luck!:)

janettekay likes this.
  13. janettekay

I must not be good at this...every pearl in my house feels gritty..or maybe my teeth are !!!!!!!!!!!!:wideyed::woot::D:eek:

14. evelyb30

They were small and scurried and looked like cat treats?

KSW likes this.
  15. Ownedbybear

16. evelyb30

Yeppers. Cat treats.

17. janettekay

UPDATE--geesh...looked again at my photo above and saw something..re checked the piece....in another place says " 14kt RoTi. The very few pieces I find..are plated and SS.

Any Jewelry and Houseful like this.
  18. Any Jewelry

After my last reply I thought about it some more, and thought maybe 'gold' is a brand, or a jewellery line?
    Germans mark their gold in millessimal fineness, so 375, 585 etc. Without an actual fineness mark, I would say this isn't gold, but costume.:sorry:

janettekay and komokwa like this.
  19. janettekay

So 14kt...means plated in this case? :(

20. Any Jewelry

I am not entirely sure, but I would guess it does.:nailbiting::sorry: Can you have it tested by a jeweller, just to be sure?

janettekay likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted