Vintage Hunting Dog Watercolor Signed Lee

Discussion in 'Art' started by Lithographer, Apr 19, 2022.

1. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

I picked this up at an estate sale today. I think it is a pretty competent painting and I suspect may be from the 1940's-50's. I think it was probably framed in the 1960's-70's. There is a gallery label on the back from Jackson, MI. Interesting side note, a former coworker of mine was from Jackson and he is related to the famous sporting artist Lynn Bogue Hunt. Hunt lived in Albion, MI. I think this might be a tough search because the name Lee is so common. Any help will be appreciated. I think I will get it a new mat and glass and put it up in the house, I quite like it.
    IMG_1819.JPG IMG_1820.JPG IMG_1821.JPG IMG_1822.JPG IMG_1823.JPG IMG_1825.JPG

2. Silverthorne

Silverthorne Well-Known Member

English setter with grouse. My favorite canine!

Although, not so much the grouse. Prefer pheasants. :shame:

Figtree3 and antidiem like this.
  3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I lightened & enhanced the signature area and came up with a couple of "possibilities" only, but knowing that, doesn't make them real either!!!! Just what I think are maybe possible!!! OF course, LEE is the obvious signature!! AND a very nice Watercolor regardless!!! Numbering corresponds to arrows & numbers:
    1- VS or VSVll
    2- CAFFy or CAPPy
    3- SV or SW
    4- T T or JT

LIGHTENED AREA-HUNTING.jpg

4. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

Thanks, I am not very good with dog breeds. Used to see pheasants all the time back in the 70’s, haven’t seen one in decades. Turkeys are everywhere and I sometimes run into grouse and quail on my property.

5. Silverthorne

Silverthorne Well-Known Member

Pheasants referred to our habitual Thanksgiving Day feast. My father and uncle used to shoot, accompanied by the Gordon Setter, the English Setter, and the Pointer. (just like the hunting prints from the 30's, 40's, and 50's.

And, thank you OP for saying that you are not "very good" with dog breeds!! I am no expert on the little yappy ones, but I do know the hunting dogs; you could not BELIEVE the number of sellers who a) don't know one from another, b) call a pointer a setter, or 3) haven't enough sense to look the dogs up, or, gosh, maybe ASK someone.

Draft saved Draft deleted