Featured Vintage Knit Pattern Catalogs

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Shwikman, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Shwikman

Shwikman Well-Known Member

Going through the hundreds of yards of fabric, scraps, holed clothes saved for repurposing, etc. Along with it are a number of pattern books/magazines, mainly from the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s. I thought I’d share a couple.

I’m not sure how long the “Rib Tickler” fad lasted but it couldn’t have been long!
    9F382566-DBF6-4798-95A1-BD32DF20D969.jpeg 0329FCB1-082B-4D10-AC36-C1B0A2A97E88.jpeg

SBSVC, scoutshouse and Bronwen like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Don't let Dumbledore see them.

Shwikman likes this.
  3. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Wow

On second/third look, is that baby supposed to be some kind of fish? Caught by hook??

That's a sleeper, imo - though I don't exactly know how one commences collecting such stuff, let alone finding :)

Christmasjoy and Shwikman like this.
  4. Shwikman

Most of the pattern books are smaller/half magazine size and are women’s wear...there are boxes of them, it was a monthly subscription thing I think.
    Going through the boxes fabric I find homemade clothes that must’ve somehow not made the cut, like this dress-
    B2984E3A-C5F9-45E2-A9AC-9BE1C7D5064B.jpeg 84549A1E-A090-45CD-88A9-DC994D3C97CA.jpeg

5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

That so reminds me of a neighbor of mine back in the late 60s who scandalized ALL the neighborhood gals by wearing a crochet bikini to cut her yard ! Funny how all the husbands found outside chores to tend to when she would ! By the by,you could see EVERYTHING through it !

6. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

I know patterns are collectible, but that one is ecksepshunall!

This belongs on laughable eboo listings:

McCalls M7389 Misses Sleeveless Tops with Overlay Sewing Pattern Size 6-14
    $595.00 + $3.25 Shipping

There are THREE available!
    [​IMG]

Nice, lengthy description - NOT

McCall's M7389 ~ Size 6-14
    Envelope has light shelf wear.
    Will combine shipping. Each additional sewing pattern is .50 on the same invoice.
    Please email me with any questions.
    Thanks for Looking

7. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

I wore one of those crocheted things, we called them Tank Tops here in U.K.in the early 70s.
    Have a good look at the photos of the models on the patterns as they may have become famous later on. There were instances that the James Bond Actor Roger Moore was seen modelling a sweater on a knitting pattern.

Christmasjoy, judy, Shwikman and 2 others like this.
  8. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

3C20506B-8DBF-435B-AD7D-27A726F54CD3.jpeg The Actor Roger Moore as knitting pattern model.

Christmasjoy, judy, Jivvy and 2 others like this.
  9. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

My grandmother (who passed away in 1966) had subscriptions to all sorts of knitting, crocheting, and needlework pattern magazines. She also used to get the catalogs for ordering supplies and materials for making various handcrafts.

They were all those 1/2 size "magazines", and she kept a basket full of the ones she wanted to save for future use. I loved looking thru them when I was a kid, especially the embroidery ones.

Figtree3, Christmasjoy, judy and 3 others like this.
  10. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I never heard of that "rib tickler" name before. I called that a vest.
    Thanks for sharing the pics.

Christmasjoy, judy and Shwikman like this.
  11. Shwikman

Yes, vests or tank tops here in the states too. I think “Rib Tickler” was probably an example of failed marketing!

12. Shwikman

Found another “pattern” my grandma made. My wife tells me it’s a romper, I tried to get her to model it for you but she want having it.
    520178F8-CA8E-402A-8FFD-1D5E232F5416.jpeg

13. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Your grandma was quite handy with fabrics and sewing.
    My grandmother used to knit a lot when I was very young. She made me a lovely burnt orange wool sweater. I wish it had not disappeared over time. Made with love.

14. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Lose the pockets, and change the fabric to solid blue, and it would look just like my junior high gym uniform! (late 1960's...)

Draft saved Draft deleted