Featured Vintage Lobster Bowl, Help with maker please

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ValerieK, Mar 9, 2021.

1. ValerieK

ValerieK Well-Known Member

I've been trying to find the maker of this lobster bowl for a while now without success. It seems that a number of manufacturers made very similar bowls from the Art Nouveau era to the Art Deco era, with Wedgwood being the most popular. I know this isn't Wedgwood (alas) or Carlton Ware, but haven't been able to find anything exactly the same on google images. The key points are that it is decorated inside but not outside (transfer print with hand colouring, I think), the silver-plated rim is not marked, and there are no maker's marks of any kind on the bowl. I haven't found a single instance of a bowl with slanted fluting like this one. The lobster is similar to many makes but the claws are closed, and the antennae curve underneath the claws to nearly touch the first legs. There is a lot of wear on the lobsters, so it has some age, and was found useful by a previous owner! I suspect it may have arrived here in the UK with a sticker saying "Made in Japan" which has dropped off. Values vary enormously between makers, and I would like to describe it correctly when selling. Diameter just over 8". Lobster bowl - 1.jpg Lobster bowl - 4.jpg Lobster bowl - 2.jpg Lobster bowl - 3.jpg Lobster bowl - 5.jpg

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Isnt that a crayfish inside the bowl?

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I think so, Johnny. Our New England lobster has more carapace plus the big claws/ pincers. But if this was made in the UK, their "lobster" are different.

Bev aka thelmasstuff and TraceyB like this.
  4. ValerieK

I'm no expert in crustaceans, but it's definitely not a lobster! Could well be a crayfish, but I thought it was a king prawn, due to lack of large claws at the front. Something else not pictured on any other lobster bowl I've found on google.

Figtree3, TraceyB and Bakersgma like this.
  5. Branka

Branka Well-Known Member

One inside the plate is shrimp
    One outside are crabs
    Maybe the dish is used for hand washing as we often serve a bowl of water next to shrimp dish for cleaning the hands. Maybe...

PortableTreasures and TraceyB like this.
  6. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I think the outside ones are rock lobsters or langostinos. Definitely not New England lobsters!

David Kiehl and Figtree3 like this.
  7. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

The outside ones are lobsters, not crabs!

Figtree3 likes this.
  8. ValerieK

I think it is lobsters on the outside, king prawn on the inside, but I don't actually eat either. Most of our crustaceans are shipped in from distant oceans these days, and I don't know where this bowl was made, could be Japan. This type of bowl is definitely known as a "lobster bowl", whatever the creatures on it! But has anyone seen this particular one before?

9. Branka

Branka Well-Known Member

Would 8” diameter bowl be too small to fit a lobster? They are usually served in big oval plate.

10. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

11. Branka

Branka Well-Known Member

Oooo it is not for a lobster, just called that way because of decor. Daaa

12. ValerieK

Thank you so much, I think you've found the very one, the first of your two examples! The lobsters and ribbing look exactly the same. Unfortunately there is only one picture on worthpoint, so can't see the inside, but it must be the same manufacturer. I don't know how the seller identified that it was German and 1920's, the information is a bit sparse, but I hope they are right. Also can't see the sold price, unfortunately, but if I now search for German lobster bowl maybe I will find another one on offer, and get some idea how to price it. I did many searches on google and these two bowls did not come up. Did you search worthpoint itself? Once again, many thanks, you are a star say-it-slowly!

Darkwing Manor and Figtree3 like this.
  13. ValerieK

Yes, these seem to be most often classed as salad bowls, although they are still a little small for that. A bit garish for a salad bowl in my opinion, but perhaps they were used specifically for salads to accompany seafood. Bowls held up by lobsters were once enormously popular, it seems, from Victorian times onwards, although a bit bizarre to modern eyes, mine anyway. There are also a lot of two part serving bowls with a lobster down the middle, quite strange. On my bowl the paint on the lobsters is worn away on the backs of the lobsters, this bowl must have been used on many occasions, you could call it "pre-loved"!

Darkwing Manor likes this.
  14. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I did search Worthpoint, I like the look of lobsters as feet:).

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
  15. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Some of the members here have accounts on Worthpoint and may be able to look up the selling price and date of the first one for you. I remember that @Kronos has an account, so will tag him at least, if he is willing?

16. Hamburger

Hamburger Absolute Beginner

WS386 is showing on WorthPoint as sold for 479 USD in December 2013 (eBay).

EDITED TO ADD: I tried searching in German and found a few similar bowls, sometimes described as being for mussels. Try Hummer Schale and WMF (possible manufacturer of your piece) in your favourite search engine and you'll get a lot of photos. Some sellers are asking over 1,000 EUR........

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
  17. ValerieK

Thanks for all your time spent helping me out! The price paid for the bowl shown on worthpoint is very gratifying, but of course mine is in much more worn condition. Nevertheless I shan't sell it too cheaply! I haven't been able to confirm the WMF connection, but I'll keep trying. The bowl itself is nicely made but the silver plated rim is unmarked and the silver is wearing off, so just possibly a cheaper make, but I'm hoping for WMF, and the German search terms are very useful!

18. ValerieK

Mussels seem like a good use for the bowl, one could fit a decent number into the bowl, as opposed to actual lobsters! I can't help feeling that salad would be slightly at odds with the lobsters on the bowl, seafood would be much better. Many people over many years must have found a use for these bowls. They would be difficult to store, those people must have kitchens a great deal larger than mine!

Hamburger and Figtree3 like this.
  19. Hamburger

Hamburger Absolute Beginner

If you keep searching you might well find a closer match, but everything seems to point to Jugendstil / Art Nouveau -- and WMF is certainly a candidate. Having the likely region and period should make it easier to find out more.

Letting people know what a bowl might be suitable for was definitely a thing (and having the matching serving spoons would greatly increase the kitsch factor):

https://annette-ahrens.at/onlineshop/produkt/salatschuessel-mit-besteck-wohl-fa-wmf-um-1920/
    [​IMG]

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Antike-WMF-...it-versilbertem-Metall-1910-1920/233918936360

[​IMG]

https://www.ebay.de/itm/WMF-Salat-G...rter-Rand-Jugendstil-wunderschon/272330646249

[​IMG]

(Note that I am absolutely not an expert in this field -- this is just based on a little searching and on having seen vaguely similar items in the past in Germany.)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
  20. EnglishHouse

EnglishHouse New Member

Villeroy & Boch - Originally came with serving spoons as well. My German Aunt had one!. Circa 1930 - 40 I believe.

Draft saved Draft deleted