Vintage Mexican Hand Painted Plate/Platter ID Please ?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by bosko69, Jun 28, 2022.

1. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Here's a vintage 13" Plate or Charger,it's hand-painted and stamped MEXICO on the reverse w/ a hook for hanging on a wall.The only marks on the reverse are 4 or 5 simple painted white lines (just to the upper right of the Mexico Stamp).Do You know who the Potter & Painter are ? Mex1.jpg Mex2.jpg Mex3.jpg

moreotherstuff likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

No, but look to Tlaquepaque.

Debora

3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

That's a nice one. A bit off the beaten path.

4. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

The cross hatched white lines are called petitillo. Could be Lucano Family Pottery as maker.
    A search for Tlaquepaque, Tonala, or Mexican + petitillo pottery should find it.

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That's a typo, isn't it? Think the word is spelt petatillo and it describes this type of work, on which the cross-hatching is used to fill the negative space.

Debora

f9.jpg

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  6. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

Yes, it sure is a misspelling, not typo. I just winged it, didn't bother to go look it up. I haven't thought about it for several years and had forgotten how to spell it correctly.

Yay Debora! Thank you!

7. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

All of the items depicted look "happy" to me! I like it! :)

8. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Thanks All for the information ! Antidiem- if this auction listing brings in a certain $$$ amount (and the Buyer's happy),it'll look happy to me too.

Draft saved Draft deleted