Vintage Orchid Pin

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Anna Johndrow, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Anna Johndrow

Anna Johndrow Active Member

Thanks so much for all the wonderful information the experts have been sharing about the jewelry from my Great Grandmother's time in Burma.

The piece I want to share now came from my Grandmother who gave it to me when I was about 15...which qualifies it to be AT LEAST vintage! It is unmarked but is very soft and pliable. Used to bend the pin every time I wore it just getting it on! My grandmother told me it was from a family member in Venezuela and years later business travel took me to Venezuela where I saw that the orchid was iconic and ubiquitous in their jewelry.

Does the common subject of the orchid, complete with pearl on the stamen, lessen it's value? Venezuelan Pin LS.JPG Venezuelan pin CU sized.jpg Venezuelan pin back sized.jpg Venezuelan Pin hinge.JPG

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I shouldn't think so.

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Aha! Now I know how my mother knew a bracelet she had (I have now) was from Venezuela. It has panels with orchids like this connected to one another by fine chains. It is 18K.

My jeweller (hope he stays in business :nailbiting:) told me the granules used to embellish some areas are river gold & of a higher fineness than 18K. I really have no idea if this is correct or not. You can see what I mean in this photo:

[​IMG]

You should have your pin tested. Maybe it's so soft & bendy because it's high K gold.

Draft saved Draft deleted