Vintage Prada Bag...Fake?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by RachelW, Jul 12, 2020.

1. RachelW

RachelW Well-Known Member

Hi all! Went to our first car boot sale of the year today and I think I came home with some goodies. The first purchase of the day was this lovely hand bag. There's a fair bit of damage, 3/4 of the handles' stitching has been repaired, and the 4th needs doing. A couple of possibly lipstick stains on the inside and some wear to the handle itself. From afar it looks fine though and the bag itself is in great condition. Its large enough to be a nice carry on at airports and I love it so I don't mind if its a fake, but the added possibility was too tempting to pass up for 3 euros.

I looked it up when I got home and everything seems to point to it being genuine except for two parts: the pocket zipper isn't marked/is different to the main zipper, and the lining does not have the Prada logo. The inside logo has three lines rather then two so based on what I read that makes it vintage if real.

What are your thoughts? TYIA!

IMG_9170.JPG

IMG_9172.JPG

IMG_9171.JPG

IMG_9173.JPG

IMG_9174.JPG

Seeing that outside logo more closely the P is wonky...perhaps leaning towards fake?​

2. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Not “leaning” toward fake-IS ABSOLUTELY AN ILLEGAL COUNTERFEIT. It’s your counterfeit and no one can make you do anything with it but I’m one who thinks all counterfeits should be defaced so that they can never be resold and rip off someone else. The Fairy series was probably Prada’s most highly faked series and if you compare to a genuine one you’ll see everything that’s clearly wrong and easily seen by those who know the bag. Here’s hoping that the next one you find is genuine!

Fid, judy and komokwa like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Not being facetious but... They're all fake. At least almost all. Here's what the PRADA logo should look like on your bag. Now compare.

Debora

Unknown.jpg

komokwa likes this.
  4. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Also, if you look at the interior “made in” tag you can see that it was made in a country that doesn’t use a Latin alphabet. Most counterfeits are made in Asia.

komokwa likes this.
  5. RachelW

Ah no thats too bad. Its a shame as it seems nicely made. Thank you putting a title to it though! I didn't know it was one of a series and couldn't find it online. The genuine ones do look different.

Ah yep I see that, different Rs!

How can you tell?

6. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Be careful with this. That’s the new R Which is correct for the Fairy series. The vintage R is different.

Debora and RachelW like this.
  7. reader

reader Well-Known Member

INITALY! Spacing is incorrect.

RachelW likes this.
  8. RachelW

Interesting! Thanks.

Its still a nice bag so it shall proudly accompany me to all airports. :joyful:

9. reader

reader Well-Known Member

If you insist on using it please wear gloves as it’s loaded with toxic materials that are used in the tanning process of counterfeits. The counterfeiters won’t spend the money to use the correct and safer chemicals.

10. RachelW

Ah okay thank you for the heads up!

reader likes this.
  11. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Assume that you’re in the U.K. since you referred to a “boot” sale. Know that in the US it’s not illegal to own a counterfeit bag-it’s only illegal to sell them but that’s not true of Italy and France. It is illegal there and they may be confiscated and the owner fined. Italy in particular is very protective of their designer products and Prada is up at the top of that list so I highly suggest you don’t use it if traveling to either country.

komokwa likes this.
  12. RachelW

Thank you for that! I'm actually in France, but I'll only be traveling to the UK/US.

Draft saved Draft deleted