Vintage? Snowcat Fur Boots SIZE HELP!!

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by vitry-le-francois, Oct 9, 2015.

1. vitry-le-francois

vitry-le-francois Well-Known Member

I thought it would be fun to start another "VITNAGE" thread! Nifty looking SNOWCAT boots. There is no size listed. How do I correctly measure size? Any idea what type of fur? Reindeer? Goat? Chupacabra? There is a label inside that reads, "REINE SCHURWOLLE" which means new wool in German. I am having a hard time trying to identify these boots. Can't seem to find any similar. Any help would be appreciated!
    k.snow3.jpg k.snow4.jpg k.snow2.jpg

2. Jen and George

Jen and George Well-Known Member

They look Ike snowmobile boots or apres ski boots. Used to be (and maybe still is) a brand called artic cat. Snow cats are the snow machines they used to groom the trails. That's all I've got.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  3. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Didn't they call boots like these mukluks?

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

They're not really mukluks, they're more what they've morphed into with mass production, and yes years ago these were referred to as after ski boots where this type of fur boot became popular.
    I can't tell what the fur is but the WOOL refers to the lining .
    Finer boots...& older boots were wool lined as opposed to today's more common fiber fill lining.

more traditional mukluks..
    [​IMG]

more popular today version...
    [​IMG]

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  5. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

The ONLY assistance (may not be any real help) regarding size is to mention that when we measure women's MARKED shoes, the insole (measured along the contours, toe to heel) is usually 9.75" to 10" for a size 38.5 (8 US). That is for a round toe, such as yours.

Forgot to mention - we use a flexible metal tape to measure inside of shoes/boots - it allows you to get the tape to the toe, hold down the curve, and bend the tape up at the heel to get as accurate a measurement as possible.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
    gregsglass likes this.
  6. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Chupacabras?! Have they spread up North? And to France????

7. vitry-le-francois

vitry-le-francois Well-Known Member

lol loro...I live in Arizona.

komokwa likes this.
  8. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!
    Whewwwwww!

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

size should be a number on the sole or on a tag inside the top rim.
    They don't look well used..., I can't see the inside......but if they were used as after ski boots , a lot of walking would have been on snow.....and the soles don't wear down fast from that...

10. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Draft saved Draft deleted