Featured Vintage tin of 'Robot Soap'-any info on this product ?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by bosko69, Jan 25, 2024.

1. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Just found this in the garage.It's a vintage tin of 'Robot Soap' made by the Enosil Chemical Co. of Oakland,CA,U.S.A. There were very few actual functioning robots in the 'workaday world' back in the 30's and 40's.
    This would been used as a common household cleaning product on linoleum,woodwork,etc ,and not really designed as a detergent for automatons,androids,mechanoids,droids,bots,or any machine remotely resembling one of these creations.
    Can anyone tell me anything about this product and company ? The fifth and last photo was found on Pinterest and referenced as being listed on 'Antiques Navigator'-aside from an image,I found no other particulars.
    RoboSoap1.jpg RoboSoap3.jpg RoboSoap2.jpg RoboSoap4.jpg ROBO.jpg

2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

really eye catching !!

cxgirl, wlwhittier and laura9797 like this.
  4. sassafras

sassafras Well-Known Member

I love that! Neat to see the other items that he invented too. I bet his house was spotless. ;)

komokwa, cxgirl, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  5. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Very cool Bosko

6. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I would not be surprised if it contained carbon tetrachloride and/or benzene. Don't sniff it.

"Being a good solvent for many materials (such as grease and tar), carbon tetrachloride was widely used as a cleaning fluid for nearly 70 years. It is nonflammable and nonexplosive and did not leave any odour on the cleaned material, unlike gasoline which was also used for cleaning at the time."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_tetrachloride

Figtree3, Roaring20s, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  7. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

The Santa Rosa Press Democrat clipping is an amazing coincidence. I found the tin in an abandoned condemned garage in Santa Rosa-stranger than fiction.
    PS-We bought a lamp in a small town near S. Rosa (Sebastopol) at a place called R.Basso & Son.Could be related to the linoleum guy in the SR paper ?
    *Great video 20's.

Figtree3, Roaring20s, komokwa and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted